First Jerky This Weekend - Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jusmejim

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 26, 2013
I'm going to be attempting my first batch of jerky this weekend and have a few questions.  

I'll be using an MES 30, Eye of Round, Cure #1, and will be making some of it Teriyaki and the rest just a "plain" jerky.

For the Teriyaki I plan on using a recipe that we use for stir-fry, which includes soy, water, ginger, garlic powder, brown sugar, and honey.  It also calls for corn starch, but I don't see a need to include that.  Once I'm ready to smoke it I plan on including just a bit of sesame seed and black pepper.  

First question, are there any ingredients listed that cause a problem (like they just shouldn't be used, or might spoil, or sour, etc.) when making jerky? 

If I marinate for 36 to 48 hours, do I need to dry the jerky off with paper towels before placing it on the rack or would it be fine to just kind of run it between two fingers to get the excess juice off?  

Any suggestions on a good basic jerky recipe?

I know the cooking times will vary, but any suggestions on cooking times and temps?  If anything I prefer a dryer jerky.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm going to be attempting my first batch of jerky this weekend and have a few questions.  

I'll be using an MES 30, Eye of Round, Cure #1, and will be making some of it Teriyaki and the rest just a "plain" jerky.

For the Teriyaki I plan on using a recipe that we use for stir-fry, which includes soy, water, ginger, garlic powder, brown sugar, and honey.  It also calls for corn starch, but I don't see a need to include that.  Once I'm ready to smoke it I plan on including just a bit of sesame seed and black pepper.  Sounds good!  The cornstarch is there for thickening of the stir fry, no need here.

First question, are there any ingredients listed that cause a problem (like they just shouldn't be used, or might spoil, or sour, etc.) when making jerky? I don't see any issues at all.

If I marinate for 36 to 48 hours, do I need to dry the jerky off with paper towels before placing it on the rack or would it be fine to just kind of run it between two fingers to get the excess juice off?    I dry mine off to give it a head start on the drying process.

Any suggestions on a good basic jerky recipe?  Search this site, there are a LOT of very good ones!

I know the cooking times will vary, but any suggestions on cooking times and temps?  If anything I prefer a dryer jerky.  130 for 2 hours, no smoke, then bump up the temp 10 degrees and add smoke.  Bump the temp every 30 minutes until you hit 160.  Allow to dry until you get the texture you want.  Remember, the true texture can't be observed until the piece you're checking has cooled to room temp.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
See above.  Others should chime in soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: deviousin10nts
JMJ, I leave my jerky wet on the racks for an hour or so to drip dry(paper towels underneath) and to form a pellicle before putting in the smoker.

How precise do you need to be with the measurements on the cure #1?  I know the correct amount is 1.1 grams per 1# of 1 tsp. for 5#. I don't have a scale that weighs in such small amounts of grams though.

So, For instance if you have 4# of meat.  1 tsp. would be a bit much, or (if I'm figuring right) you could use 1/2 tsp. and 1/4 tsp. which would cure 3.75# of meat.  So if I used the latter and added a "pinch" more?  Or would 1 tsp. with a "pinch" taken out be better?

Or just how precise must it be?

Tonight's when I'm going to make my marinade up and start the process.  I've been reading a bit more about the cure thing, and some of the posts say that the 1 tsp. per 5# of meat is actually 1 tsp per 5# of (meat+liquid marinade).

Assuming that is correct it will be easier to control the cure I think.

I thought I had a gram scale, but it is not working.  I sell stuff online and have another newer scale, but it weighs only in pounds and ounces in .1 increments.  My older scale that also weighed in grams that I brought home to use is capoot.

I've already ordered a gram scale this afternoon.  :)

It's 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of meat.
dirtsailor2003, I'm just trying to learn, so really don't know what I'm talking about, but I read several posts this afternoon where they were talking about so many PPM (parts per million) of cure, and to get the right amount you added the weight of the meat and weight of the liquid?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky