First Impressions GMG Prime Jim Bowie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dang, some good looking food here. Gonna make me dig through my freezer to stand tall.

Haha. What ya cooking Doc?

With this new toy I cant stop cooking, when I had a Stick Burner I would use it once every month or so, now Im smoking/Grilling every week.

Made a Pastrami and put it on yesterday morning, while it cooked I went out on the dirt bike for the afternoon, which is why I love this pellet grill. I checked my GMG app before I headed home and it was just about to hit 160f, perfect. Got home wrapped the meat and washed my motorbike.

IMG_6665.JPG

IMG_6669.JPG

Reactions: Rawprawn
Haha. What ya cooking Doc?

With this new toy I cant stop cooking, when I had a Stick Burner I would use it once every month or so, now Im smoking/Grilling every week.

Made a Pastrami and put it on yesterday morning, while it cooked I went out on the dirt bike for the afternoon, which is why I love this pellet grill. I checked my GMG app before I headed home and it was just about to hit 160f, perfect. Got home wrapped the meat and washed my motorbike.

View attachment 393954

View attachment 393955
Nice cook. Ya it's so nice to be able to do other stuff while the grill does its thing.
Dont know what I cooking yet. Still eating a ham I did a few days ago.

I had a crazy thing happen last night when doing Sunday Roast, cooked at 225F, then to finish I turn up to 375, when I turned it up I had thick black smoke, like Fat fire smoke. Opened lid no fire but it looks like the fat was burning.

It stunk real bad and the smoke was so thick and nasty I had to turn the Grill down to 150.

Have alfoil on my tray as Doc suggested, do I need to clean under the Fat Tray each cook or any ideas?

I had a crazy thing happen last night when doing Sunday Roast, cooked at 225F, then to finish I turn up to 375, when I turned it up I had thick black smoke, like Fat fire smoke. Opened lid no fire but it looks like the fat was burning.
Wow, never heard that happen. I admit, I've never done a temp swing like that. My 1st thing would be pull every
It stunk real bad and the smoke was so thick and nasty I had to turn the Grill down to 150.

Have alfoil on my tray as Doc suggested, do I need to clean under the Fat Tray each cook or any ideas?

Something is burning. Did you do a starter cook to prep the grill?
If its pushing out black smoke, should be easy to find what's burning.

Hi Doc, what do you mean by a starter cook to prep the grill? Seems the drip bucket doesn't get to much fat, seems to sit around the end of the tray.

I turn it on and when it hits 150F I start loading it, then set to desired cooking temp, is that right?

I guess Ill need to remove the drip tray after work and see whats going on. Never happened before.

It was so black and thick my Wife nearly collapsed as I have it under the Verandah :emoji_astonished:

Hi Doc, what do you mean by a starter cook to prep the grill? Seems the drip bucket doesn't get to much fat, seems to sit around the end of the tray.

I turn it on and when it hits 150F I start loading it, then set to desired cooking temp, is that right?

I guess Ill need to remove the drip tray after work and see whats going on. Never happened before.

It was so black and thick my Wife nearly collapsed as I have it under the Verandah :emoji_astonished:
A starter cook. When you get a new smoker, burn one to clean out any residual factory/packing stuff.
Honestly, my drip buckets 1/4 full after a year.
Line/cover your drip tray w/ tinfoil.
Maybe you'll get happy fun time w/ the wife, lol.

Yes, I followed the manual with the burn in.

There must be some fat/Juice trapped somewhere for some reason.

Doc, do you ever clean the inside bottom of your Grill, under the drip pan? I noticed I had some build up there a few cooks ago, looked like it didnt reach the drip pan.

Yes, I followed the manual with the burn in.

There must be some fat/Juice trapped somewhere for some reason.

Doc, do you ever clean the inside bottom of your Grill, under the drip pan? I noticed I had some build up there a few cooks ago, looked like it didnt reach the drip pan.
Here's a long reply for all my GMG stuff. Good and bad.
I got a DB 2 years ago. I had issues figuring out how to set it up
Dealt w/ customer service. Great people. I know now I was at fault figuring things out. GM sent me a new thing that updated my grill from standard to wifi for free.
The drip tray. Honestly, haven't emptied it ever. 3 yrs, not even 1/3 full.
I line the leaning heat tray w/ tin foil. Easy clean up. Under that is the heat guard/ diffuser box. When you go through proper shut down it blows out all ash from fire box.
3 years, never had to clean out lower section.
2 things I would reccomend getting. The double shelf for 2 layers of cooking. The front shelf.

Gave her a real good clean out inside, was real easy. I was suprised how much Juice/Fat was inside in the bottom. I guess I have done about 12 bags of pellets and some big cooks so it is expected. My Fat bucket was half full from one cook, lined it with Alfoil for easy cleanup next time.

Did some Beer can Burgers so I could test out my Grill matt, the matt works great, non stick very easy to clean. Filled with Sauce and veg, topped with Mash potato. Very tasty.

IMG_6703.JPG

IMG_6704.JPG

Grill Matt after cooking:

IMG_6707.JPG

I have found Cold Smoking with just a Amazn tube works great on this grill, no mods required. I have read so many things about the Amazn tube not staying lit and it did concern me. The Grill has a great draft and from under the hopper into the unit, then out the chimney, no problems there. 12" tube lasted close to 3 hours.

Had two pork loin in Pops Brine for 12 days, and thought while cold smoking them I would do some Cheddar cheese blocks. Wasnt really a cold enough day here but thought why not. Next time I will wait for cold day.

Made a mistake in my haste to get to work and didnt cut the cheddar blocks up arrggh. They had been smoking for 3 hours, went home cut them into slabs and threw the 6" inch tube in as the 12" was close to being done.

Will cold smoke the bacon and cheese for another hour or so, then pop the cheese and loins into the fridge, fire up the grill to 150F then pop the loins back in until they hit 145F.

IMG_6748.JPG

IMG_6751.JPG

That's a great cook. I havent done cheese.
I am dealing w/ GMG now for my DB. Broke. They have sent me new control boards and inigtor. Replaced twice. I keep getting pushed onto a different CS rep I think.

Can confirm Cold Smoke works great in the GMG, so eassyyy.

Used the 12" tube which lasted 3 hours, popped the 6" tube in and got about 1.5 hours out of that. Pulled the cheese and turned up the heat to Hot smoke the bacon to 150F.

Cheese and Bacon came out good. Tasted the bacon for Breakfast, very tasty. Haven't tasted the cheese yet. Got so much smoked cheese, dropping off to family this morning :emoji_wink:

Note to self: I need to cut the cheese into smaller blocks next time.

IMG_6756.JPG

Left in fridge overnight, then sliced.

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

IMG_6768.JPG

Thanks Doc. With my stick & charcoal smokers I never had time to BBQ as it was a big day/night managing the cooks.

This grill changed all that, now I BBQ all the time plus I can try out all the cool recipes here because it’s so versatile, so I am very happy.

I’m in Brissie, have a JB, mine has started to make a loud noise when I first started it was quiet as, from reading online sounds like the auger has gone. In regards to searing, I do a fair bit of sous vide (which is a great combination with smoking, app controlled) and bought a flame torch which works great. I keep the smoker to smoking and either use a cast iron or a gas torch. There is a YouTube channel called sous vide everything where they test a range of torches, I liked the dragon weed killer, not sure how the missus would go with that and a tad overkill

Mate have you cleaned out under the heat shield? Need to do that every bag. Any chance your pellets have been wet?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky