First Impressions GMG Prime Jim Bowie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jabiru

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
South Aus
I'm from Australia, got a great deal on a Prime Jim Bowie yesterday, grabbed the Grill Grates, pizza attachment and cover.

Ive been a charcoal and wood smoker/BBQ'r for years and have a variety of Smokers.

I just don't have the spare time to tend my smokers anymore so I thought I would give one of these new Pellet Smokers a go.

Me and my Missus assembled it in just over Half an hour. The Instructions make it more confusing than it is to actually do.

All went to plan, started it as per Instructions and then did the Burn in @ 350F for 30 mins. Nice smoke, smelt like a campfire. But it was LOUD!!!

I managed to convince my missus to let me have it on our Patio/Deck, but it was so loud! We couldn't talk near it :) The FAN kicking in was like a Jet Engine next to you, on, off, on, off, on, off. :emoji_astonished: The auger was quiet.

Looks like I will have to build a BBQ area just away from the Patio, all good tho. I used to smoke out the back anyway just because of the smoke.

It held constant temperature like a champion, didn't move a degrees either way. Unreal how it is so easy to manage temperatures.

It was late so we thought we would try Fresh thick sausages and some Pork Spare Ribs using GMG Texas pellets.

Dropped it back to 180F, Popped a probe in a Sausage and a probe in the Spare rib. Fired up the APP and connected to the Grill, only shows one probe, eh? Looks like they may not have updated their app as yet?

Thats ok though as you can see them on the LCD Panel easy enough.

Probably going to install a yoder probe port so I can use my Igrill.

The Phone APP works well connected straight to my phone. I need to extend my Wifi so the Grill gets stronger signal to where it is so I can pop it on our Wireless Network, simple enough.

I ran at 225F, the Sausages came out good, nice and brown and tasty, couldn't really taste the smoke, light smoke ring. They were thick skinned so I should have popped a few holes in them.
Spare Ribs, didnt really taste any smoke on them either, considering the amount of smoke coming out of CHimney.
They werent not to bad I took them out when I pulled the sausages out, then banged the Jim Bowie up to 450F, waited till it hit temp and attempted to sear the ribs, sort of worked... Ive got the Grill Grates but didnt try them..

When its running real hot and you open the lid it sounds very cool, like a furnace :)

I found the right side was running a bit hotter than the left, I had the Heat Shield in the Default position as per manual.

Overall: Happy with the purchase, works very well. The noise of it, well we can live with that. I think when I use it a bit more I will tune myself into it. Seems very Versatile.

Missus wants me to give my other smokers and BBQ's to the Kids, bit reluctant at this moment.

Hoping someone can help me with these couple of Questions.

1. If I move the Heat Shield a touch to the right, will that even out the Grill temp?

2. How do you sear on these? Is it just a matter of popping Grill Grates or cast iron pan on on and turning it right up, or do need to adjust the heat shield?

3. Can I pop a Brisket on overnight and wake up in the morning and it will be done nicely or?

Just about to throw 4 racks of Pork Ribs in, 3 Sauced and some rub, one just Salt & Pepper (Which Ill spritze with Apple Juice and Worcester sauce each hour) Gonna run at 270F.

Attachments

• IMG_6536.JPG
    IMG_6536.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_6539.JPG
    IMG_6539.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_6541.JPG
    IMG_6541.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 303
Reactions: Walchit
Moved the smoker away from the tin wall and it just didn't seem as loud as first cook. It actually seemed to run the fan less than first night.

The Ribs come out awesome, great flavour. About 4 hours or so @220F, plenty of smoke that's for sure. Used about 1/4 of hopper of pellets, hardly any pellet usage.

I just threw some Spuds in whole for the cook just to see and wow they were like they come off a campfire.

Blows me away how quick it gets to Temp when you raise it and also how constant the Temp, does not vary 1 Degree.

As we get used to this the better it will be.

Bone In Brisket - in today, using the GMG App "Brisket Profile". Not alot of meat on it really, weighed 2.8KG.

Again, the smoke coming out of the Stack is just spot on, fan and auger hardly running at all.

The app doesn't actually tell me what do do at each step, Im guessing 5 hours, then wrap for two, uncover and wait until 165F, then bump up to 225F for last hour.

Fat cap down they say, see how it goes. Not sure whether I should have sauced?

I love this sitting back watching Netflix and just watching it work perfectly (Automatically) through the app is very cool.

IMG_6550.JPG IMG_6558.JPG

DB owner here.
The heat shield has a set distance over for each grill model.
You can let it run overnight but I like spritzing pork w/ apple cider once an hr.
Look into the internal upper shelf and front shelf.
Alot more cooking and work space.

Thanks DocSteve, I set the Heat Shield as per user manual, I have since moved it a touch to the right to even the temps, seemed to work. I think I need to pop a heap of bacon in to see if I have fixed or have any hot spots.

Ill definitely look at getting the extra shelves.

Thanks DocSteve, I set the Heat Shield as per user manual, I have since moved it a touch to the right to even the temps, seemed to work. I think I need to pop a heap of bacon in to see if I have fixed or have any hot spots.

Ill definitely look at getting the extra shelves.
Also, I would line the angled drip tray w/ foil. It gets nasty quick since it dosent run off into the bucket that well.
The wifi. I only have a phone, no computer, tv. Used the wifi app, had ot all set up and couldnt use m/ phone later to watch a movie.
Shut down the app and it also shut down the grill unknown to me.
If you want more smoke, look into a "smoke tube". There like $15. Google and you will see what Im talking about. Youtube vids of demos too. I got one, worth it.
I've used every type of smoker made all the way to competition cookers. Like you, tired of staying up all night tending fire/ temps. I also only cook for myself so big cooks are something I dont do anymore. Hence a Daniel Boone instead of JB.
They have accesories listed on their website but you can get same products cheaper from Amazon. I recently got the internal shelf, front shelf and extra bag of pellets for $100.
Would have cost me $140 locally.
Another thing Ive noticed. The pellets sink into the auger hole in the center of the bin. You might have the low pellet alarm go off and all you need to do for another hr or 2 of cook is push the pellets into a pile in the center of the bin.
Its so nice to take a nap, go to the store or just relax for hrs and not have to continually check on the smoker.

Reactions: Jabiru
Also, I would line the angled drip tray w/ foil. It gets nasty quick since it dosent run off into the bucket that well.

Cheers mate, mines a mess already. Will definitely do that.

If you want more smoke, look into a "smoke tube". There like $15. Google and you will see what Im talking about. Youtube vids of demos too. I got one, worth it.

I have seen them wondered if they were any good, Ill put that on the list. Saying that, this unit is putting out smoke nicely, I did some sausages again, put them in cold, and put a couple of slits in them. They were smokey.

They have accesories listed on their website but you can get same products cheaper from Amazon. I recently got the internal shelf, front shelf and extra bag of pellets for $100.

Now that's another great heads up, cheers, Ill take a look.

Another thing Ive noticed. The pellets sink into the auger hole in the center of the bin.

I did notice that on the 10 hour cook the other day and thought thats one thing I may need to get up for, Ill do a couple of all day cooks and see what the story is I guess.

I do really this unit all the cooks so far have been great and super easy. I do like playing with fire but to time poor now.

Did you think yours was loud when you first got it? We dont seem to notice on low now, think the tin on the verandah made it reflect to loud.

Cheers mate, mines a mess already. Will definitely do that.

I have seen them wondered if they were any good, Ill put that on the list. Saying that, this unit is putting out smoke nicely, I did some sausages again, put them in cold, and put a couple of slits in them. They were smokey.

Now that's another great heads up, cheers, Ill take a look.

Another thing Ive noticed. The pellets sink into the auger hole in the center of the bin.

I did notice that on the 10 hour cook the other day and thought thats one thing I may need to get up for, Ill do a couple of all day cooks and see what the story is I guess.

I do really this unit all the cooks so far have been great and super easy. I do like playing with fire but to time poor now.

Did you think yours was loud when you first got it? We dont seem to notice on low now, think the tin on the verandah made it reflect to loud.
Noise? I really havent noticed. Maybe location.
Opposite side of house on porch. For me, the convenience of checking the pit every 45 min/1 hr versus sleeping or watching a movie is well worth the fan / auger noise.

A few things easy to smoke on your new grill. Also zi know you cant have guns so here's what I bought today.

Attachments

• 20190315_224858.jpg
    20190315_224858.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 327
A few things easy to smoke on your new grill. Also zi know you cant have guns so here's what I bought today.
Make sure you peel the membrane skin off and flip those ribs over for the entire cook.
No need for a temp probe. Fall off and bendable, done.

The stock on your gun looks awesome. Do you kill game and pop it in your DB?

I am thinking of trying a Roo leg soon. Good lean meat bu you need a young female for nice pink meat.

The stock on your gun looks awesome. Do you kill game and pop it in your DB?

I am thinking of trying a Roo leg soon. Good lean meat bu you need a young female for nice pink meat.
Honestly..hunting for me is more being out in the woods alone and enjoying piece and quiet.
My brother has a successful buisiness dealing w/ an outdoor product. He does alot of videos online getting really impressive stuff.
He keeps offering to let a film crew tag along for a hunt w/ me.
After being at war for so long, my hunts are short. I find a spot and go to sleep on the ground.
I have no desire to wake up before the sun comes up anymore. I go out, find a soft spot and sleep/relax.

I feel you Doc, I really like going out Bush here, I don't hunt anymore but enjoy just being out there now.

After being at war for so long
I take my hat off to you Sir.

I put alfoil on the drip tray as you said, worked great so much easier to keep clean.

I think I am getting dialled into the Grill now, damn these GMG Grills work well.

Ok, two bags of pellets down. Cooked so many things on this I can hardly remember.

This grill works great, minimal pellet usage and so spot on with the Temps it is almost too easy. I can go from 225F to 550F in minutes. The smoke flavour is perfect and suits everyone who has tasted.

Very happy with it.

Going to try the Grill Grates for reverse Sear Steak & the Pizza Oven Attachment this week if I get time.

Sundays Roast - 5KG - 5 1/2 Hours - Cooked to Medium - Gold Blend Pellets. Had some great help from fellow forum members for this cook.

Attachments

• IMG_6585.JPG
    IMG_6585.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_6594.JPG
    IMG_6594.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 257
Ok, two bags of pellets down. Cooked so many things on this I can hardly remember.

This grill works great, minimal pellet usage and so spot on with the Temps it is almost too easy. I can go from 225F to 550F in minutes. The smoke flavour is perfect and suits everyone who has tasted.

Very happy with it.

Going to try the Grill Grates for reverse Sear Steak & the Pizza Oven Attachment this week if I get time.

Sundays Roast - 5KG - 5 1/2 Hours - Cooked to Medium - Gold Blend Pellets. Had some great help from fellow forum members for this cook.
Nice looking cook.

Thanks Doc, i was under a bit of pressure, had Family coming around for Dinner, but it all worked out thanks to the GMG.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky