First Hybrid Chuckie - Smoke Then Sous Vide - Success!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cody_Mack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 8, 2021
Fulshear, TX
This is my second SV Chuckie, but the first one was strictly SV for two days then pan-seared. It was pretty good, for a roast.

This Chuckie was trussed and seasoned with SPOG on all sides and into the smoker at 200⁰ for a couple of hours then raised the temp to 225⁰ for a little over two hours and the IT was hitting 134⁰F. Pulled from the smoker, vacuum sealed it and into the prepared Sous Vide it went. Temp was set to 135⁰F and it was to stay in the bath for a little less than 48 hours, making total cook time around 50 hours. That was on Thursday afternoon with target to pull it out on Saturday early afternoon.

About that time I remembered a party we were going to on Saturday, so Saturday when the Chuckie was finished with his ~46 hour bath, I pulled him and put into a bowl of ice water for a bit then into the freezer, still sealed in the SV bag.

This morning I decided we would have the roast for dinner, so I prepared the SV with cold water and dropped in the Chuckie still sealed in the bag. Circulated cold for a couple hours then set the temp to 134⁰F, 1 degree less than cook temperature. Really had no idea how long it would take, but was hoping it would be there by dinner time. And it was.

So I cut open the vacuum bag and drained the au jus into a small bowl, then made that first slice. I need say no more than to just look at the photos. Then comes the taste test; OMG, the perfect smoke flavor and tenderness, exceeding Prime Rib and easily equaling a nice tenderloin. Not kidding!

Thanks all for the great tips and suggestions. This one is a keeper!

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3998.JPG
    IMG_3998.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3999.JPG
    IMG_3999.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4028.JPG
    IMG_4028.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4030.JPG
    IMG_4030.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4032.JPG
    IMG_4032.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 73
To Admin and Moderators, thanks for the carousel ride; makes this newbie feel pretty good.

Rick

Reactions: Plinsc
SmokinAl SmokinAl have you done a Tri tip smoke then SV? I'm thinking not near as long in the bath as a Chuckie.

Rick

No have not. I usually only smoke and then sous vide tougher cuts of meat. I know some of the guys have smoked and sous vide ribeyes but I just never saw the need to do that on such a good piece of meat. I did it a couple of times and it didn’t seem to make that big of a difference. But on the tougher cuts, it sure makes a big difference. Give it a try and let us all know how it turns out. I would think that just three or four hours in the sous vide would be plenty.
Al

Reactions: Cody_Mack and dr k
This is my second SV Chuckie, but the first one was strictly SV for two days then pan-seared. It was pretty good, for a roast.

This Chuckie was trussed and seasoned with SPOG on all sides and into the smoker at 200⁰ for a couple of hours then raised the temp to 225⁰ for a little over two hours and the IT was hitting 134⁰F. Pulled from the smoker, vacuum sealed it and into the prepared Sous Vide it went. Temp was set to 135⁰F and it was to stay in the bath for a little less than 48 hours, making total cook time around 50 hours. That was on Thursday afternoon with target to pull it out on Saturday early afternoon.

About that time I remembered a party we were going to on Saturday, so Saturday when the Chuckie was finished with his ~46 hour bath, I pulled him and put into a bowl of ice water for a bit then into the freezer, still sealed in the SV bag.

This morning I decided we would have the roast for dinner, so I prepared the SV with cold water and dropped in the Chuckie still sealed in the bag. Circulated cold for a couple hours then set the temp to 134⁰F, 1 degree less than cook temperature. Really had no idea how long it would take, but was hoping it would be there by dinner time. And it was.

So I cut open the vacuum bag and drained the au jus into a small bowl, then made that first slice. I need say no more than to just look at the photos. Then comes the taste test; OMG, the perfect smoke flavor and tenderness, exceeding Prime Rib and easily equaling a nice tenderloin. Not kidding!

Rick
Very nice! This soak was easy since it went 48 hours and pasteurized, but if you follow the pasteurizing tables on other soaks vs just the heating tables, then you can put your sealed SV bag in the ice water to quickly cool like you mentioned, leave in the fridge up to 28 days at 37.5* to figure out when to cut it open and eat it. After 2 days waiting for dinner in a SV bath things can change and you might not want it when ready or life happens so every SV I start I put a bowl of water in the fridge You can make many meals at the same temp in a large bath. I wanted to have a dedicated 3 gal water bath of distilled water in my 20 pt tub but the smoke particulates, syringol, alcohol and phenyl aromatic organic compounds pass through the bag every pre smoke into the water bath. You can see and smell it in the water bath. I've never had a vac bag leak double sealed but long soaks have that smoke in the water bath. I had to search online to figure it out since the bags never leaked. I wish I could just have distilled water and use it a year or so but the smoke is a deal breaker and I'll have to continue to fill my SV tub with pitchers of tap water. I'm with Al, the SV, it's a chuckie machine not steak, chop, poulty breast tender cuts, but no one has mentioned super tender chxn noodle soup SV chxn at 147 have your stock soup veggies cooked and put the SV juice in with the stock and slip in the chunked super juicy chxn when the stock drops to 146, serve right away or nuke single servings below 147.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
Looks great. I will have to try this method. And that plated shot is pure heaven!
Jim
Thanks! Mushroom and onion gravy, purple hull peas for Mom and me.

Rick
Very nice! This soak was easy since it went 48 hours and pasteurized, but if you follow the pasteurizing tables on other soaks vs just the heating tables, then you can put your sealed SV bag in the ice water to quickly cool like you mentioned, leave in the fridge up to 28 days at 37.5* to figure out when to cut it open and eat it. After 2 days waiting for dinner in a SV bath things can change and you might not want it when ready or life happens so every SV I start I put a bowl of water in the fridge You can make many meals at the same temp in a large bath. I wanted to have a dedicated 3 gal water bath of distilled water in my 20 pt tub but the smoke particulates, syringol, alcohol and phenyl aromatic organic compounds pass through the bag every pre smoke into the water bath. You can see and smell it in the water bath. I've never had a vac bag leak double sealed but long soaks have that smoke in the water bath. I had to search online to figure it out since the bags never leaked. I wish I could just have distilled water and use it a year or so but the smoke is a deal breaker and I'll have to continue to fill my SV tub with pitchers of tap water. I'm with Al, the SV, it's a chuckie machine not steak, chop, poulty breast tender cuts, but no one has mentioned super tender chxn noodle soup SV chxn at 147 have your stock soup veggies cooked and put the SV juice in with the stock and slip in the chunked super juicy chxn when the stock drops to 146, serve right away or nuke single servings below 147.
Good info dr k dr k . And actually I knew about safe time in the fridge for a few weeks, but silly me froze it anyway.

Rick

Reactions: JLeonard

Rick
I assume that a "chuckie" is a chuck roast?

Thank you, and what's the status of Chef Jimmie J? I get the feeling that he's not with us anymore. Is that correct? If so who's working the Food Safety depart

Backpacker

Damn that looks good,, My sis gave me a SV,,, still sitting in the drawer in the kitchen waiting to be used LOL - I may have to try this.

Wow, that looks incredible! Awesome work! Another push for me to get a new toy…. SV is definately getting good PR with you guys crushing it here!

Reactions: Cody_Mack
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky