First Hot And Fast Brisket: My Best Ever!! (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Been waiting for this pandemic to come to an end so I could rationalize smoking a whole packer and invite some friends. It just doesn't make a ton of sense to cook 18# of meat for the two of us and a fat dog. Being that one of Tracy's favorite things in the world is brisket, she was getting impatient for me to smoke one and she decided that I need to regardless of the situation. Ok....I'll do that. We decided to invite one couple. They are a bit older than us, retired, and have been playing it safe since this whole mess started. They jumped on the opportunity to get out of the house AND eat some good brisket. This was a beautiful thing as the folks joining us are some of our best friends in the world.

Started with an 18# Certified Piedmontese whole packer
01.jpg

Trimmed it and seasoned with my beef rub and some On Point (or something like that) rub which was gifted to me by Zach Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan . That is some REALLY good stuff!!
03.jpg

About 3 hours in with the smoker running 300*
001.jpg

Made a big bowl of wasabi horseradish macaroni salad
003.jpg

Appetizer plate with homemade smoked Cajun sausage, smoked extra sharp cheddar, and club crackers
004.jpg

Brisket all done. I am thrilled with that bark!!
006.jpg

When the IT hit about 185 I put it in a large pan with beef broth, beef gravy, and bourbon then covered with foil. Took all the juices from the pan, added a bit of corn starch, and hit it with the immersion blender to make a gravy
005.jpg

Sliced. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper right about now.
007.jpg

Close up
008.jpg

The whole spread. Also had a pan of Susan's world famous Soppin' Beans. OMG those are so good!!
010.jpg

My first plate
011.jpg

I've managed to eat at some of the best BBQ joints in Texas. By default that means I've eaten at some of the best in the world, as have our friends. This was without doubt the absolute best brisket any of us have ever had. People were literally cutting it with a plastic fork it was so tender. Flavor was off the charts and juicy enough that we almost had to wear a bib. Total cook time was right at 8 hours. This is also the first time I've ever made gravy like this with the drippings. It was stellar and will be the go-to from now on. One of our guests likes a little BBQ sauce so I got out the SBR for her. She never even opened the bottle. All of us enjoyed that gravy in a way I'd never dreamed of. It went with the brisket in a way that I have never experienced before. Just incredibly good!! This is also the first time I've ever made wasabi horseradish macaroni salad. It doesn't take a lot of the horseradish to really impact the flavor so I was gentle about using it. Took folks a couple bites to realize what it was that made the macaroni different but that bowl was almost empty by the time we finished dinner. It was a huge hit. In summary, I will never spend an entire day cooking a brisket again. I'm 100% convinced that hot and fast is the way to go. I've seen it done a couple times with rave reviews so figured I'd give it a try, and I'm really happy that I did.

Thanks for dropping in,
Robert

Absolutely phenomenal spread Robert! I have only attempted Hot & Fast once... and it was nothing like you just posted :emoji_sweat_smile: I needed a chainsaw haha. I will have to go back to trying a hot and fast at some point. That thing looks killer!

The gravy sounds awesome too!

Everything looks spot on from here! I'm not a wasabi or horseradish person, but your posts are slowly making me reconsider. That profile sounds great.

I'd be a happy camper if that came off my smoker also. Nice Job Robert.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow Robert. That sliced shot is on the money! Great smoke ring and very moist. Don't think you could have smoked it any better. What type of pit did you smoke it on? Sides look outstanding as well. I mean wasabi horseradish macaroni salad who wouldn't like that? BIG LIKE!

I am with Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan tried hot and fast one time on a butt and it was terrible. Hard to argue with your results though!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Absolutely phenomenal spread Robert! I have only attempted Hot & Fast once... and it was nothing like you just posted :emoji_sweat_smile: I needed a chainsaw haha

Thank you Zach!! Maybe I can make a brisket pie ala mode with the leftovers :emoji_astonished: I remember you mentioning the less than desired results of your attempt. Sorry to hear it was a disaster. That's not like you in any way.

The gravy sounds awesome too!

It was fantastic!! I just wish I could think of a way to make it without having to cook a brisket. I'd love to have that in a 55 gallon drum for lots of things.

I'm not a wasabi or horseradish person, but your posts are slowly making me reconsider. That profile sounds great.

I remember you mentioning this also. Horseradish is a very bold flavor and not for everybody. The key is to use it in moderation.

Robert
p.s. sorry to make this two posts. I hit the wrong icon and sent the last one before I meant to

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
It all looks awesome Robert! Really like the gravy. We aren't big fans of horseradish but like wasabi almonds so might have to give it a try in macaroni salad

Ryan

Wow Robert. That sliced shot is on the money! Great smoke ring and very moist. Don't think you could have smoked it any better. What type of pit did you smoke it on? Sides look outstanding as well. I mean wasabi horseradish macaroni salad who wouldn't like that? BIG LIKE!

Thank you John!! I was really happy needless to say. I did this one on my big T-Pit that I had built a few years ago. Love that smoker!! Used hickory and a bit of mesquite. I'd have liked to use all mesquite but didn't have enough.

Robert

Brisket looks perfect robert. Very nice job. I've never done one hot and fast either

Appreciate it Jake!! This was my first time but won't be the last. I used to be intimated to a point (no pun intended) doing a brisket due to the time involved. Not any more though. You can easily start it fairly early in the morning and have it ready by dinner time with great results.

Robert

It all looks awesome Robert! Really like the gravy. We aren't big fans of horseradish but like wasabi almonds so might have to give it a try in macaroni salad

Very much appreciate it Ryan. the gravy was stellar. I still don't know what made me think to do this. As many briskets as I've done and the thought never crossed my mind.

As mentioned to Zach, the key is not to overdo the horseradish.

On a different note, I've not forgotten about you.

Robert

Been waiting for this pandemic to come to an end so I could rationalize smoking a whole packer and invite some friends. It just doesn't make a ton of sense to cook 18# of meat for the two of us and a fat dog. Being that one of Tracy's favorite things in the world is brisket, she was getting impatient for me to smoke one and she decided that I need to regardless of the situation. Ok....I'll do that. We decided to invite one couple. They are a bit older than us, retired, and have been playing it safe since this whole mess started. They jumped on the opportunity to get out of the house AND eat some good brisket. This was a beautiful thing as the folks joining us are some of our best friends in the world.

Started with an 18# Certified Piedmontese whole packer
View attachment 443955

Trimmed it and seasoned with my beef rub and some On Point (or something like that) rub which was gifted to me by Zach Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan . That is some REALLY good stuff!!
View attachment 443956

About 3 hours in with the smoker running 300*
View attachment 443957

Made a big bowl of wasabi horseradish macaroni salad
View attachment 443958

Appetizer plate with homemade smoked Cajun sausage, smoked extra sharp cheddar, and club crackers
View attachment 443959

Brisket all done. I am thrilled with that bark!!
View attachment 443960

When the IT hit about 185 I put it in a large pan with beef broth, beef gravy, and bourbon then covered with foil. Took all the juices from the pan, added a bit of corn starch, and hit it with the immersion blender to make a gravy
View attachment 443961

Sliced. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper right about now.
View attachment 443962

Close up
View attachment 443963

The whole spread. Also had a pan of Susan's world famous Soppin' Beans. OMG those are so good!!
View attachment 443964

My first plate
View attachment 443965

I've managed to eat at some of the best BBQ joints in Texas. By default that means I've eaten at some of the best in the world, as have our friends. This was without doubt the absolute best brisket any of us have ever had. People were literally cutting it with a plastic fork it was so tender. Flavor was off the charts and juicy enough that we almost had to wear a bib.
Awesome looking meal! Death and going to try the hot and fast

Robert, that looks awesome! I need to try the hot and fast sometime. Ive seen too many people rave about hot and fast not to give it a try. Whats even better about this awesome meal is that you got to share it with close friends and get to socialize!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky