First go at sausage smoked with cure (salami, jalapeño cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Are the links I made safe, even though they didn't get uniform smoke due to our braiding them?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

novasbc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Austin, TX
With sausage the wife and I made Sunday, I finally finished smoking the cured part (made 25 pounds fresh spicy bratwurst, 25 pounds breakfast sausage, 25 pounds cured salami, and 25 pounds cured jalapeño cheddar).

I've made plenty of fresh sausage before, they turned out great, are vacuum packed and in the deep freeze.

As of last night, I finished smoking the rest of the cured meats with my new MES 40 with mailbox mod.  I have definitely found that smoking them to the proper internal temperature takes way longer than I'd expect.  Both batches took 12+ hours each total to get to 152 degrees Fahrenheit.

I haven't tried the salami yet, they are vacuum sealed and in the refrigerator.  It seems from other postings, that a couple of days in the fridge really helps their flavor.  I'll leave two of them unfrozen, give some to friends (if it turned out any good), and freeze the rest.  I used the recipe from Rytek Kutas's book (4th edition, page 215).

First batch was the salami.  I ended up not putting enough seasoning in it, because I did it per 25 pounds, and ended up miscounting, and actually mixing it with 30 lbs of meat.

Last night's batch was the Jalapeno Cheese batch, which I modeled based on liking CrankyBuzzard's post.

I did an initial grind with a 1/4" plate because I was trying to mix venison, pork butt, and some pork trim I got from the butcher (in 60/40 pork/deer).  I mixed the ingredients, and let it sit in the fridge overnight before grinding again through a 5/16" plate (again, all I have), and stuffing.  They remained in my fridge covered with plastic wrap until yesterday.

One thing that I won't do again for smoked sausage, is to braid them.  We have always braided our fresh sausage, as it made it easy to do links.  In retrospect, this made it impossible to get smoke  all the way around them.  As you can see below, there are grey areas that smoke didn't penetrate.  Does this make the sausage less safe to eat at this point?

The taste isn't precisely what I was expecting.  I fried up some of it before stuffing, and the taste was great.  I sampled some from two of the links that were uniformly smoked (one was collagen, and one was hog casings), and found that the consistency wasn't precisely what I was expecting.  I was expecting the inside to be a bit harder, but it was all things considered, fairly soft.

I have some of it hanging to dry the casings back out after their cold water bath.  After that, I'll refrigerate it overnight, and try it again.

My brother in law makes great smoked sausage, and it seems when it comes off the smoke it has a better consistency than this.  I wonder if I need to set up a case fan to circulate air in the smoker.

Also, I think I need to cover one of the holes I made on the top of the mailbox.  The second time I used it, the pellets lit themselves back on fire in the mailbox!  My first time, it did just perfect.

Reactions: shoebe
Nice smoke!

As for your question about the braided sausage being safe, as long as you had the proper IT you are fine.

As for the consistency. If you want the product harder, you need to dry it more prior to smoking.

I don't water bath hot or cold after smoking. Just my preference.

As long as the proper amount of cure was used your sausage is fine. The cure is what makes it safe. The smoke is mostly for flavour and color but does help with mold prevention on the exterior of the sausage. As far as texture you can try a few things. First you can take the IT up a few degrees to make it set up firmer. Second you can store it in a paper bag in the fridge or hang it in the fridge or cold space like a garage for a few days ( I keep my garage at fridge temp through the winter) until it dries to the texture you want. As far as taking 12 hrs to cook...ya that's normal. You could smoke it until you get the color you want and then poach them in hot water to get them to your finish IT.

Nice smoke!

As for your question about the braided sausage being safe, as long as you had the proper IT you are fine.

As for the consistency. If you want the product harder, you need to dry it more prior to smoking.

I don't water bath hot or cold after smoking. Just my preference.
I did get the proper IT.  I checked it in three different places in the smoker.  Regarding the water bath, I've been doing that only as the recipes I've been going by have called for it.  I presume that if you don't, it could end up more done than you originally preferred.
As long as the proper amount of cure was used your sausage is fine. The cure is what makes it safe. The smoke is mostly for flavour and color but does help with mold prevention on the exterior of the sausage. As far as texture you can try a few things. First you can take the IT up a few degrees to make it set up firmer. Second you can store it in a paper bag in the fridge or hang it in the fridge or cold space like a garage for a few days ( I keep my garage at fridge temp through the winter) until it dries to the texture you want. As far as taking 12 hrs to cook...ya that's normal. You could smoke it until you get the color you want and then poach them in hot water to get them to your finish IT.
The proper amount of cure was used for sure.

I bet the internal temperature was the problem. I realize I wrote it down wrong, and went with the 152 degrees specified for the salami from the book, and CrankyBuzzard's post suggested 165.

The salami turned out great.  Opened one of them up, and it's nearly gone what with the wife and kids apparently loving it.  It's a bit mild for my taste, but that was expected with my seasonings being 17% short of what they should have been.

They look good, And yep safe to eat, IT and cure involved you are good to go. I also do 60/40 or 65/35 depending on the amount i have out to make at the time. I have found the odd batch to be "soft" after bathing/shower and hanging to bloom, I wrap and freeze ours and when its time it comes out to thaw and quick reheat on BBQ, (or cut up into recipe's we are cooking) Then they are firm. I haven't had one stay soft after taking out of the freezer. A little extra heat seems to do good for us. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky