First go at Pop's Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdgirlinfl

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
Gulf Cove, FL
Trying Pop's brine for the first time. I mixed up the following into 1/22 gal water:
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1.5 tsp cure no. 1 pink salt
All level measurements.

Sealed with 1/3 of a skinned belly (3.8lbs) in brine (removing any air) for 11 days. Left to dry over night in fridge. Realized I may not have rinsed so I rinsed the next day and left overnight again to dry and form pellicle.
Started with 6 hours of smoke yesterday. Chamber temp was around 88-92 (best low I could go here)
Getting ready to run smoke again today
Using hickory/Apple blend.

053a3a3de76d339d0787518ff686c0dd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm concerned that I still may not have good airflow with the cold smoke accessory, even though I crack the ash drawer. Smoke has a hint of staleness. A little like ashtray. I might try leaving the door a tad cracked (latch popped loose) on the mes30 to see if that keeps the smoke flowing and not getting stale. My vent is always wide open.

I'm concerned that I still may not have good airflow with the cold smoke accessory, even though I crack the ash drawer. Smoke has a hint of staleness. A little like ashtray. I might try leaving the door a tad cracked (latch popped loose) on the mes30 to see if that keeps the smoke flowing and not getting stale. My vent is always wide open.

I dunno about leaving the MES door cracked... Is there any kind of inlet vent control on the cold smoker attachment? I'd think that would be a better option.

I dunno about leaving the MES door cracked... Is there any kind of inlet vent control on the cold smoker attachment? I'd think that would be a better option.

No other way besides the ash drawer trick. If it is just a question of airflow and the vent is only so big, it seems the next logical step would be the door to increase airflow. I'm still pretty darn new to smoke but the objective is to have smoke flow over the food and not be stagnant, right? I am open to suggestions. Maybe I am just over reacting and the staleness I text is normal part of cold (low temp) smoke ???

I put a fan in front of mine on low.

With the ash drawer open about 1/2"

It keeps the smoke circulating quite well.

I usually rely on a breeze to do that, but this will work when there is no breeze.

You can see the smoke is nice & light.

Hope this helps,

Al

I put a fan in front of mine on low.

With the ash drawer open about 1/2"

It keeps the smoke circulating quite well.

I usually rely on a breeze to do that, but this will work when there is no breeze.

You can see the smoke is nice & light.

Hope this helps,

Al
Thanks Al,
I just did a quick search of the thread regarding cleaning creosote because the interior is sticky and chips are getting hung up, plus I thought it might be the source of the stale smell. I was alarmed to find a thread from 2014 that discussed that there may be a paint issue. Upon beginning to clean the tube with hot water and a putty knife I found some creosote (as expected) but also the paint is also sticky, soft, bubbling and peeling. I think that may be some of the issue. Have you experienced this?
I cleaned the tube inside and out the best I could along with the tube lid and the hinged lid to the unit (putty knife, no water on the body) and found he paint pulling away and most coming off. I may reach out to Masterbuilt. This seems very irregular.

I've had mine for a couple of years & never noticed any paint peeling.

I responded to the above mentioned thread too.

Al

Correction... I used the measurements in one half gallon NOT 1/22. Lol

OK, you threw me there!
No other way besides the ash drawer trick. If it is just a question of airflow and the vent is only so big, it seems the next logical step would be the door to increase airflow. I'm still pretty darn new to smoke but the objective is to have smoke flow over the food and not be stagnant, right? I am open to suggestions. Maybe I am just over reacting and the staleness I text is normal part of cold (low temp) smoke ???

I think you're overreacting. The reason many of us let it "air" is to let the overly smokey smell mellow out.
You're on the right track....

You do know you can cold smoke bacon in a cardboard box right?

Crack the door do whatever to get the smoke rolling through. My GOSM leaks like a sieve and does a fantastic job of pulling smoke through .

It'll all be good.

Thanks. I'm a bit insecure and a worrier until I have some successes. (Then I'm probably over confidant) ha ha.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky