First go at bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Electric88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
Finally found pork belly at Costco a couple weeks back (they carry it infrequently around here it seems) and decided to give it a go at making some bacon. Got two 9ish pound slabs, cut them into thirds, and used Bear's TQ recipe.
IMG_3156.jpeg

After the requisite amount of time curing (about 9 days), the fry test was conducted and was pleased to find it wasn't salty at all. I decided to use equal parts brown sugar to TQ, so if anything the sugar peeked through a bit. After sitting overnight in the fridge topped with black pepper, garlic and onion powder, they went into the MES30 with hickory smoke for a full 12 hours.

IMG_3180.jpeg

They came out looking fantastic, and were sliced after setting for two days in the fridge. Originally intended to use a 9" slicer I found on an Amazon lightning deal, but decided to just use the knife instead and save some money. They aren't grocery store thin, but I like it a bit thicker anyways.
IMG_3182.jpeg

IMG_3190.jpeg

It turned out absolutely great! Much thanks to bear and others who have paved the way on this! It tasted much better than store bought, and cleaner (if that makes sense?). The smoke was there but not overpowering, and I was able to actually taste the pork. Looking back it's not that store bought tasted bad, but in comparison it strikes me as tasting much more processed. Will be vac sealing a lot of it tonight, but I'm sure I will have to do another batch before too long!

Looks mighty fine from here. Congrats on a successful first venture into bacon.

Point for sure
Chris

There's no comparison to store bought and what you can make at home. Your bacon looks great, real nice job you did there! Like, RAY

That's some good looking bacon. I've used Bear's method the 5 or 6 times that I've made it and it always turns out great. Like

Looking good, so many recipes and various methods to try to figure out which one you like the best. I’m still fine tuning my technique after 6 smokes. My biggest challenge is find affordable belly.

Your bacon looks fantastic! I use the exact same method and have always had great results. Looks like you got some nice thick bellies too. Wish I could find those around here. Points for sure!

Looking good, so many recipes and various methods to try to figure out which one you like the best. I’m still fine tuning my technique after 6 smokes. My biggest challenge is find affordable belly.

This was 2.99 a pound at costco. My problem has been them carrying it. More often than not they didn't have it.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky