First Full Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thegoodsmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Florida
Picked up a packer and some baby back ribs today.  I hope I picked a good brisket.  Plan on smoking it this weekend sometime.  Trying to decide between my MES30 and my charcoal barrel grill.  I've never smoked on the barrel grill, but it seems like it could handle the task.  I know me and the family are not going to eat the whole brisket in one day.  What's the best way to keep it?  I'll probably leave some out for sandwiches and don't know about long time storage for lunch next week or later.  Well I'll make sure to post pics.

Hello TheGoodSmoke.  I'd keep enough in the fridge for a week and freeze the rest.  Just my opinion.  Good luck  Keep Smokin!

Dan
That's what I figured, I'll put some in ziplock bags and freeze portions.  I wish I had a vac sealer.

I just leave mine in that last foil wrapper, and we have sandwichs off that for a week. I like brisket well enough but I love a good brisket sandwich...... can eat those till I am sick. I don't preslice it though, the colder it get the easier it is to cut. I hate microwaves especially on meats, but with brisket it works wonders. Then throw on a little BBQ sauce. It just don't get much better.

Just a little salt, pepper, garlic, and chili powder. Got my charcoal grill and electric smoker going if my charcoal grill doesn't keep temp then I'll throw it in the MES.

6.5 lbs or so.  Trimmed a little bit of the fat cap, but left quite a bit on.  Threw it on the smoker fat cap down.  Smoker holding at 275 right now, hotter than I wanted but the brisket looks great up close so I'm not too worried.

Oh forgot to say, the ribs were very smelly. Opened up the package and a dead animal odor filled the room. I tossed them. I've bought ribs at the same place tons of times and they have never been like that. The package said sell before 11 Nov.

Took it off about 197 or so. I cut off the fat cap but I don't see a point really. There's no difference in grain that I can see. So I just wrapped the whole thing and letting it rest in the cooler.

You didnt buy a whole packer brisket so there is no point. You spent $ 3.79 / lb for a brisket flat.

No fat separation from point to flat, you can see the butcher squared it off, its less than 7 lbs, and YOU said no grain change. I've seen enough brisket in my time to know a packer from a flat. But maybe I'm wrong.

That looks like just a flat based on the shape. Norm there is a huge fat layer between the point and flat. This doesnt look like a full packer brisket. Still good eats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky