First fridge build help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacoviii

Original poster
May 2, 2013
Independence Mo
Ok so I have had a cheap chargriller side box that I made revers flow. I now have a GMG pellet. I'm missing the deeper smoke so want to try something new. I can run gas or electric. I want to burn sticks / wood chunks. On the old side box smoker I ran a flame tube from a gas grill and drilled out the gas orifice from Lp to NG. The burner heated a steal plate that I set the wood chunks / small split logs. It worked good but could not run much above 200*. Also being a cheap grill did not hold temp in the winter / rain. So if I run the 50s fridge on elec. I need to heat the wood to smoke and also regulate the internal temp. Sooo....

a single burner hot plate and a old cast iron skillet,seen that used a lot over the years

Can't beat it with a stick.
Most of my smoke boxes in my younger days were just that simple.
'Cept I used a #10 can as my chip burner.

Simple, cheap hotplate.

One of my best smokers was an old enameled refrigerator. I just used the wire shelves as they were, and made a vent near the top on one side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky