First ever cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slysmoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Virginia Beach
Back during the holiday sale I finally picked up one of Todd's expanding tube smokers with the intent to smoke cheese, and maybe jerky.

By Saturday I had gotten enough cheese pulled together to make a go of it, and since a picture is worth a thousand words:

Left to right - Gouda, Colby, Colby Jack and two different chedders

Expando tube doing its thing.

It was 55ish during the day, I used the smokers burner to take the cook chamber up to 75 then shut it down, the expando tube kept the temp around 75 for the next 3.5 hours

And the final product.

Note the little light spot on the upper corner of the top block of colby.

I apparently missed a small piece of the plastic wrap before smoking.

Upon removal it gives me some idea of how much color the cheese took on, so I can live with that.

After the cheese came out, an apple stuffed pork loin went in (Another thread), then when the loin came out salmon went in, so a pretty busy day for the old Smoke Hollow gasser.

Thanks for looking

Reactions: redheelerdog
Thanks Al and B!

The salmon didn't get eaten last night (Ok, maybe just one small tail piece). It gets vacuum packed and frozen for lunches.

Today the vac sealer will get its workout packing the cheese and the salmon.

I usually cool the salmon overnight before packing. Seems to set the oils, or maybe I'm just lazy after a long day at the smoker....

The color looks fantastic, thats some good eats!  
icon14.gif

Thanks Sauced.

As far as taste, I will know on Super Bowl Sunday, as that will be the 2 week mark that I've forced myself to wait.

I used the Pitmasters Choice. Hopefully it doesn't come out too strong. If so I'll need to order something milder for the next attempt.

Thanks AB and Bellaru.

Have not tried it yet, forcing myself to wait 2 weeks to pop some open.

I'll report back on Sunday
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky