First Ever Attempt at Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

el cid bbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I almost have my smoker figured out - got the temp dialed in, but chips kept catching fire. Will most likely be switching to chunks instead. All in all, for only my second attempt at smoking and first attempt at ribs (& smoked wild turkey breast - see my wild game thread) I'm pretty dad gum happy with the results. Forgive the photography skills.

229ecdb5_IMG_0015.jpg

eb501ab6_IMG_0019.jpg

Ribs look great. You got that smoker dialed in already. You may want to try chunks or a cast iron pan for your chips.

Looks great i agree chunks should not catch fire as easy as chips.  I never soak chips unless i am grilling.

Thanks everbody. I did soak the chips and what I ended up doing was as soon as they started catching I put some more wet chips on top. I'm gonna try the chunks next and maybe the cast iron pan too. I have to admit they tasted pretty dam good.

Looks good from here El Cid !!!

I use a watt burner & an AMNS, so I don't need this, but nobody has mentioned putting your chips in foil & punching some holes in the foil.

They tell me they will smoke good, but won't flare up. Makes sense to me.

Bear

I use a watt burner & an AMNS, so I don't need this, but nobody has mentioned putting your chips in foil & punching some holes in the foil.

Bear
X2, the foil pack will definitely help control ignition.

Great job on the ribs, that's quite a smoke ring! I'll check out your turkey breast thread, too! 

Bear
this does work well and I use to do this until I got a chip pan with lid

looks tastey....did U baste at all and what did U use?????????
No basting, tried the 3-2-1 method. I coated them with some dry rub, let the smoke go for the first three hours, wrapped in foil with some beer for two hours and then unwrapped them for the last hour. 

this does work well and I use to do this until I got a chip pan with lid
Thanks everbody. I am gonna try chunks next, but if they flare up too I will try putting the chips in foil next.

Those ribs look fantastic, I'm doing some ribs this Sunday and I'll consider myself lucky if they come out looking like that!  

Thanks and good luck. There's a lot of good advice on this forum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky