First crack at pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Straya Smoker

Original poster
Feb 11, 2019
Hervey Bay qld Australia
36610D2A-EF1D-4543-90B3-8B18CFDDD5AC.jpeg
So I finally had my first taste of pastrami the other week, I had been interested in it after seeing it on American tv shows. My first impression was it is just smoked corned beef with spices ( I could be very wrong on what cut of meat it really is), so I decided to have a go for myself after looking through the forums here.
I went down to the wholesale butcher today and found a 1.5kg corned beef for $10 I’ve rubbed it with Dijon mustard, salt & pepper, onions dry garlic powder with a little bit of cumin. Put it in the smoker at 225 f and smoking with aus native timber of wattle and wild fig.
What temp should I pull it out at and do I need to wrap it?
Thanks

I don't know but my son attempted to make 1, it was so salty I couldn't try more than a bite, from what I have read they need to be soaked for 24 hours with the water being changed several times. seems they was some different spices used but somebody will be along soon who knows if you can wait before you fire it up

Reactions: Straya Smoker
I don't know but my son attempted to make 1, it was so salty I couldn't try more than a bite, from what I have read they need to be soaked for 24 hours with the water being changed several times. seems they was some different spices used but somebody will be along soon who knows if you can wait before you fire it up
Thanks for the response I’ve already put it on so I guess I’ll just have to see

SS, A lot of folks soak the corned beef for hours to remove salt before adding spices and smoking. Please tell us how yours comes out !

Reactions: gmc2003
If it comes out too salty, just throw slices between 2 slices of a nice toasted, seeded rye bread, add cheese, kraut, proper dressing and you'll love it.

The final temp should be around 175 - 180*. As mentioned above all of the CB I've smoked into pastrami needed to be soaked in water for at least 12 hrs. Some brands are less salty then others, but I've stopped taking chances at this point - so they all get a good 12 hrs soaking with at least 3 water changes.

Chris

If you have access to a sous vide cooker pull it at around 145F internal temp and then sous vide at 155F for 24 hours. Otherwise take it to around 200F and then probe test it for tenderness.

What you are going to end up with is a smoked corned beef, not pastrami. Pastrami required a good bit of black pepper and coriander in the rub recipe.

Regardless, it will make a good sandwich, especially with some kraut and swiss cheese.

Reactions: chopsaw
Once you get that figured out , cure your own from an eye round . You can control the salt that way . You can cure your own from a brisket too .
Be watching .

I use corned beef for my “pastrami”. I’m not sure if mine would actually qualify as pastrami but it’s hella good. I rinse mine off really good then cover in maple syrup and cracked black pepper. Smoke for around 12 hours or so until the IT reaches 190-200. Stick it in the fridge after an hour rest and slice it up for sandwiches the next day. I have 6 of them smoking atm and that’ll only last my family until summer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky