First Cook RT1250, Lemon and Herb Grilled Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking meal John!
You’re gonna love that RT, the more you use it & the better seasoned it gets. The food just gets better & better! I wasn’t happy with the RT pellets, so I switched to Lumberjack. Much better flavor IMHO!
I used mine twice yesterday, first to cold smoke some lox, then chicken & beans for the neighbors.
Al

Reactions: chilerelleno
First cook on the my new RT1250, I did some Lemon and Herb Chicken Thighs with Pommes Fondant.

I whipped up a combo of herbs and spices and let the thighs brine in it and some fresh lemon juice/zest for several hours.
During that time I prepped my taters and got the grill up to temp, 400°.
I put the thighs on and let them go for 40 minutes, then checked on the thighs, doused them with lemon juice and temped them.
Turned the heat up to 500° and flipped the thighs skin down.
Ten minutes later I doused them again with fresh lemon juice.
During these periods I was cooking the potatoes.
Got the chicken up to temp 180° and pulled them, the spuds were ready just a few minutes later.
Called the family for dinner and got out of the way with my own plate.

As you can see in the pics, the chicken skin got a nice crisp on it.
I used RecTeq's Ultimate Blend pellets and everybody liked the light smoke it gave at the higher temps.
It was raining pretty good during most of the cook and the RecTeq didn't budge on it's temp.
First cook down and done, I'm happy with it so far.

View attachment 656294
View attachment 656296
View attachment 656297
View attachment 656298

Wow, looks simply awesome!!!!! I want to stick a fork through the screen to get some. :emoji_yum:

That Rec-Tec grill looks awesome. If I ever get a pellet grill, I was going to get the style you have. I saw one up close at a competition once. Really well built and operated very well. The guy with that rig ended up winning first place in ribs.

Here's to many years of great cooks on that beautiful rig.

JC :emoji_cat:

Looks great Chili. I also used the RT pellets when first purchased but like Al said, Lumberjack is much better.
Nice choice of smokers !

Congrats on new rig and awesome cook! We love thighs and those look incredible! I’ve done your Pommes Fondant before and they were a huge hit, need to have another go!

That's a heck of a smoker and even better looking meal! Great job!

Ryan
Great looking cook Chile. Glad you're liking your Rec Tec.
Damn, that looks amazing.
I do have a question though, did you make a mistake in your post, or do you like extreemly well done chicken?

"Got the chicken up to temp 180° and pulled them."

I never cook chicken past 162*, because the carry-over brings it up to 164 to165'ish
Appreciate it guys! Thighs are a family favorite.

forktender forktender
Yep, for fatty dark meat like thighs I take them to 175°-180°, for white meat I aim for 160°-165°.

Great looking meal John!
You’re gonna love that RT, the more you use it & the better seasoned it gets. The food just gets better & better! I wasn’t happy with the RT pellets, so I switched to Lumberjack. Much better flavor IMHO!
I used mine twice yesterday, first to cold smoke some lox, then chicken & beans for the neighbors.
Al
Thank you Al, I think I'm gonna do some pork belly next, that aught to help season it more.
Gonna use up these 40lbs of RT seasoning the griddle and a few cooks, then try the Lumberjack and perhaps a few others.

Wow, looks simply awesome!!!!! I want to stick a fork through the screen to get some. :emoji_yum:

That Rec-Tec grill looks awesome. If I ever get a pellet grill, I was going to get the style you have. I saw one up close at a competition once. Really well built and operated very well. The guy with that rig ended up winning first place in ribs.

Here's to many years of great cooks on that beautiful rig.

JC :emoji_cat:
Very kind of ya, thanks.
I sure do hope it last me a good long while cause I plan on innumerable cooks on it.

Reactions: JC in GB
The finish you put on that chicken is second to none, serious you should stand up and take a bow, especially with a new to you cooker!
Great looking cook on a great looking cooker!

Jim
That's a sweet looking rig Chile and you made a good choice....and made some darned fine looking food. My invite must have gotten lost in the mail :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Nice looking chicken and new toy! Congrats
Fantastic looking meal. I wish you well with your new RT.

Rob
Awesome maiden voyage Chile! Looks like one fine smoker and a top notch meal!
Great cook and congrats on your new "tool of the trade"! Everything looks amazing!
Looks great Chili. I also used the RT pellets when first purchased but like Al said, Lumberjack is much better.
Nice choice of smokers !
Man that so good John. I have made your potatoes and need to do again.
Congrats on new rig and awesome cook! We love thighs and those look incredible! I’ve done your Pommes Fondant before and they were a huge hit, need to have another go!
So many replies... Thanks guys, y'all are too kind.
I'm thrilled with a new smoker/grill, pretty sure I made a great choice.
I hope everything comes out as good as some simple grilled chicken.
Can't wait to actually smoke some meat!

Them Fondant potatoes are my baby girl's (14 going on 20) favorite taters, she asks a couple times a month for them.
Gotta keep her happy, just like her Mama.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky