First cook on my Rec Tec

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scottma, May 21, 2016.

1. scottma

scottma Smoke Blower

Hi Guys,

So I did the initial burn in a few days ago and decided to start simple with some baby backs with a Memphis rub.  Also added my first attempt at ABT's jalapeño stuffed with onion and chive cream cheese and a mexican blend shredded cheese with some rib rub mixed in.  This is about 2 hours in.  I'll post more pics as the cook goes on.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. scottma

scottma Smoke Blower

Ribs have been in 3 hours so i took them out to foil. Temp was 157.  Put some butter/rub/little BBQ sauce and some apple juice the wrapped in foil.  Heres about an hour in on the ABT's.

3. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Looking good so far Scott...you're gonna eat good today! Thumbs Up

Red

4. scottma

scottma Smoke Blower

Everything was very good.  One question on the ABT's....what temp should I turn it up to in order to get crispy bacon.  They were very good but the bacon wasn't crisp enough for me.

Final pics.

Thanks Red.  The ribs were the best i've had.

mike5051 likes this.
  5. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Awesome job on the ribs and abt's.  [​IMG]

When I cook bacon in a skillet, I use low heat and cook till desired crispiness.  It takes a while, but it gets crisp without burning.  Perhaps just smoking longer would crisp the bacon on the abt's.

Mike

6. 3montes

3montes Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Gotta ask, What is a Rec Tek? Propane? Electric? Food looks good either way.

7. icyhot

icyhot Smoking Fanatic

8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The ribs & the ABT's both look good to me.

Great job!

Al