First Cook -- Help Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaldEagleOne

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 10, 2018
My first cook is beef ribs -- 3 slabs. Set the temp at 225 and a thermocouple next to the grate reads217. I dialed the smoke, first tow 6 and no smoke.Dialed it up to 9. Still no smoke. How come?

Welcome to SMF!

What type of smoker are you using?

Photos always help us see what you're seeing to assist in diagnosing any potential problems and offer any solutions

Welcome to SMF!

What type of smoker are you using?

Photos always help us see what you're seeing to assist in diagnosing any potential problems and offer any solutions
Sorry. I have a new 36" Woodwind

I just lowered the temp to 200 and there's plenty of smoke. Will leave it there for about an hour and then take it back up. Really holds temp well.

The pellet smoker isn't going to give you the smoke like a stick burner will... it's more of a subtle smoke if that makes sense.

Looks like you've got it figured out .. but at 200 it's going to take longer to cook the ribs.

Welcome to SMF.
Let them smoke for an hour or two, then get the temp up around 250*-275* to cook them. Are these back ribs, or short ribs?

Also keep in mine that you don’t need smoke pouring out like it’s a burning house :) Small amounts of clean smoke give lots of flavor. Many that want a smokier taste profile with pellet cookers end up adding smoke tubes.

Welcome to SMF.
Let them smoke for an hour or two, then get the temp up around 250*-275* to cook them. Are these back ribs, or short ribs?
These are back ribs. Three racks, each with a different binder: mustard, maple syrup and Pig's Ass BBQ sauce. Then Jeff's Original Rub. I can't believe how well the Woodwind holds temperature after my experience with my former pellet grill.

If you run the CC at smoke level 10, the temp will swing more and you will see periods of smoke/no smoke as the controller does its thing. I've run my SG24 as high as 275 and still got a decent amount of smoke out of it.

It will not put out a constant stream of smoke as a conventional smoker burning charcoal/wood chunks or splits will.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky