First competition...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

samsonite1004

Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
So, a couple of friends and I were invited to take part in a sanctioned KCBS event last week.  Us, being the backyard smokers we are, couldn't turn the opportunity down.  

All the meats were submitted, but since this is the pork forum, here's what we ended up with:

Learned quite a bit about presentation...what to do and what shouldn't have been done.  Most obvious was the "medalions" from the money muscle ...they tasted soooo good though.  Meh--it's good enough for home but the bark tearing and inconsistent sizes didn't work too well for the judges.  

So then there's the parsley and kale...GOOD LORD!  I don't even spend enough time getting straight lines when I mow the grass.  If you aren't a big "attention to detail" person, find someone who is.  To me, this is the equivalent of taping before you paint.

The pork shoulder finished 48th out of 67.  It was better than edible and the scores, with the exception of 1 judge, reflected that.  I was pretty happy.

The ribs?  Well we did a bit better.  We didn't get too glitzy with the rub or the saucing.  In fact, just a simple store rub and a little agave syrup about 5 hours in.  No 3-2-1, just about 7 hours at 225.  Pulled them off in the last hour and rested them in foil on the counter.  

It was a long, fun night and we might do it again sometime in the next decade.

Oh yeah---we got 3rd place in ribs 
yahoo.gif

Are you kidding me!

3rd place in ribs in your first comp!

If anybody deserves points you do!!!

congratulation_graphics_2.gif

Al

Thanks, Al.  We weren't even planning on going to the awards but the beer was cold and we didn't have anything better to do at 3:30.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky