• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Competition Pictures - NJ State Championship

thedigitale

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 3, 2015
So I did my first competition this weekend. I'm battered, bruised, burnt and exhausted... and I can't wait until the next one!

For my first competition, I didn't expect to do very well, so I was pretty happy with 55th overall of 65 competitors. I learned a lot, had a ton of fun, and met some great people. We ate, we drank, we smoked cigars, and we had a blast. Here are the pictures, in no particular order. 

lemans

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 29, 2013
I was there as a spectator this year.. I hope I can compete next year.. Walked around the pits. Seamed like a great bunch of people. You should be very proud of yourself

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Congrats!

Those boxes look like winners to me!

Al

bbqbrett

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 17, 2013
Hope you had a lot of fun. It is a real fun thing to do! Nice pics.

lucc

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 4, 2009
Nice, I go there every year, except for this year of course. My parents and sister have houses down in Wildwood Crest, they always say I should enter.

What were the categories?

thedigitale

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 3, 2015

Nice, I go there every year, except for this year of course. My parents and sister have houses down in Wildwood Crest, they always say I should enter.

What were the categories?
It's a KCBS competition, so it's the standard brisket, butts, ribs, and chicken on Sunday. On Saturday, they have dessert, iron chef, sauce, and Kid's Q.

gomez93

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 4, 2013
Oh, you're hooked now!
BBQ people are some of the best people in the world

pitbulmom

Meat Mopper
Joined May 14, 2016
OMG! Those look so YUUMO!

I wish you nothing but Thin Blue Smoke and AWESOME LUCK on your next Compitition! Wish I could have been there!

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
It must of been a tough field, that food looks great!

Disco

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
You are a winner...   Not many have the cajones to cook in front of THOUSANDS of folks....   Great job....

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Dec 16, 2009
Your turn-ins look great! Did you get any feedback or scores from the judges? Awesome job!

lovethemeats

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 17, 2015
Good job. Even if it was 55th place. Nothing wrong there.
Love the pics. Expecially the one with the bird standing there. Sounds like you had a great time. You looked at it the right way. It was a learning experience. So you take what you have learned and apply it to your style and go forth. Awesome looking food. Good luck on your next adventure. Smoke proudly sir.
Rob, MI

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.