First Chuckie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
Tonight was my first chuckie. Although it was a small chuck it seemed to stall at around 155 degrees. I got a little impatient and turned up the heat to get it up to 165. I foiled it, added a little beer to the foil and took it up to 195 quickly. The result was great tasting but a bit on the tough side. I used a rub I found on line that has a lot of crushed black pepper. Probably 4 hours total at around 225 to 245. When it seemed to stall I bumped it up to 300.

Next time I'll definitely add a little time because if this was tender it would have been fantastic. All in all still editable.

6486c68d_DSC_0017a.jpg

It looks good
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 but your right had you waited out that stall it would have been more tender. The plateau is a pain but the meat sure is better for it

Chuckies are wonderful but can stall a long time. I once had a chuckie take 11 hours and yours looks great. I think you will get a more tender result if you slice it a ittle differently. It looks in your pictures that you are slicing it mostly with the grain, and you want to slice it against the grain.

I have 2 chuckies ready to go tomorrow - can't wait to have some chuckie tacos for dinner!

What you said about not rushing the meat you need to make time to take it low and slow it will help with your outcome. Once you wrapped it in foil did you put it in a cooler with towels to rest for 1-2 hours once it reached 195? If not you need to next time it makes it so juicy.

cool.gif

You just have to hate those darned ole stalls. But then we always say you have to waitthem out. Nothing you are going to do will change the meats mind. But you learned a good lesson thou.

cool.gif

You just have to hate those darned ole stalls. But then we always say you have to waitthem out. Nothing you are going to do will change the meats mind. But you learned a good lesson thou.
A valuable lesson indeed. Same as a lot of things it's not the getting there but what we do in route. Next time I'll start it much earlier. I can always leave it in the cooler with towels if it gets done too soon.

First Chuckies today for me as well, two 4 pounders, injected and rubbed, using chery and maple logs today. I will give everyone a full report. Silver Smoker is running very hot today for some reason....no wind??? I need a David Klose pit soooooo bad!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky