1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First cheese smoke w/ pics

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by captainjosh, Feb 10, 2018.

1. I bought about 8 blocks last week to try smoking cheese for the first time. Smoked for about 3.5 hrs with apple chips and pellets in my MES 30, using my Masterbuilt external smoke generator set-up. I cycled the heat on every so often and stayed between about 40-60 degrees, ambient temp was 30. Vacuum sealed everything, I will check on the first piece in about a month. I did some Cabot Vermont Extra Sharp, Seriously Sharp, Store brands: mild cheddar, sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper jack, and Gouda.

Attached Files:

2. EEBCCB48-CFDC-44F4-8D30-AA9049A73E2B.jpeg Before pic

3. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

captain,
    Looks great. Don't be in a hurry to taste it. Let it mello out.

captainjosh likes this.
  4. Thanks! I plan on letting it mellow for a month, from what I read, appreciate your input! I’ve got some fresh hocks and BBB that will be out of the cure next week, so that’ll keep me occupied.

5. I just cracked the seal on some Cabot xtra sharp I did a month ago. 3 hours with Apple pellets in the tube. It was very good.

captainjosh likes this.
  6. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks real good!
    Al

7. pa42phigh

pa42phigh Fire Starter

Nice job

8. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Cabot cheese is my favorite(although I might be bias). Your's is looking good.

Chris

idahopz likes this.
  9. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

Best cheddar in the world in my humble opinion, but then, I grew up in Vermont. :D

10. gmc2003

Where in Vermont?

Chris

11. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

CJ, Awesome looking cheese,nice color.I too love Cabot cheese as I also grew up in VT.

12. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

South Burlington back in the 60's - good ol' days to me

13. gmc2003

Burlington same time period. Things have changed in both cities for the worse in my opinion.
    Captain sorry about the highjack.
    Chris.

14. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Double hijack ,sry CJ !-I grew up in Essex Jct , also back in the 60's .

15. No worries... thanks for checking out my post and commenting!

idahopz likes this.
  16. sauced

sauced Master of the Pit

Great looking cheese!! Hardest part of smoking cheese is the waiting period to eat it!! lol
    Also...keep an eye out for horseradish cheddar, when it's smoked it is absolutely amazing!!!

captainjosh likes this.
  17. Thanks sauced! Horseradish sounds awesome, I might look for some tonight.

18. 7A65B9F9-53BA-41C0-9FAE-641CE9945EC5.jpeg
    I found it after work, one chunk already didn’t make it to the smoker, thanks for the tip sauced!

19. gmc2003

If your into pepper Jack, then you should also try their Habanero cheese. I agree the horseradish is fantastic.

Chris

sauced likes this.
  20. sauced

sauced Master of the Pit

LOL!!!

captainjosh likes this.