First cheese smoke of 2021

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Only have about 5 pieces of smoked cheese left, so i figured i needed to smoke some more.

Tomorrow's weather should be perfect.

I love the sharpest cheddar i can find, so i have lots of that.

Have two pieces of horseradish cheddar. Never tried it. Should be interesting.

Going for 6 hours in the trash can smoker with hickory pellets.

I know many think that's too long, but i like it smokey, and eventually the flavor seeps throughout the whole cheese.

20210320_163013.jpg
20210320_163020.jpg
20201124_081720.jpg

Horseradish cheddar is my favorite cheese . Love that stuff .
I don't smoke much cheese . Never comes out for me , so I'll be watching .

Reactions: smokin peachey
Looks great Bill! I have a few bricks of River Rat cheese left that I might smoke before it warms up too much. And horseradish cheese is one of my favorites too.

Reactions: bill ace 350
Looks great Bill! I have a few bricks of River Rat cheese left that I might smoke before it warms up too much. And horseradish cheese is one of my favorites too.
Thanks! I saw your post some time ago about River Rat, thought id give it a try.

I live close to both Great Lakes and River Rat cheese plants.

Also have a Mennonite store where I picked up the 10 year and 7 year cheese.

Not sure where it comes from, but my gut thinks they get it locally in bulk.

Anyway, cheese is out of the fridge warming to room temperature. As soon as the temperatures outside hits 40, in the trash can it goes.

Putting another batch in tonight.

Couldn't resist. The XXX stuff is very, very good.

Going for about 6 - 7 hours this round.
20210323_174413.jpg

Looks fantastic. Wish I could find 10yr aged cheese.

I can't say enough good about this company. The cheese is amazing. And they do ship. Though, with the summer temps. It'll be more.
Cheese – River Rat Cheese
Better yet, drive up there. Clayton is a fantastic place to visit. And River Rat cheese is right on the water. If you go there. Check out some of the spirits shops.

Last edited:
Reactions: mowin
I can't say enough good about this company. The cheese is amazing. And they do ship. Though, with the summer temps. It'll be more.
Cheese – River Rat Cheese
Better yet, drive up there. Clayton is a fantastic place to visit. And River Rat cheese is right on the water. If you go there. Check out some of the spirits shops.

Looks like there's a specialty cheese shop only 30min from me that sells there products. I'll have to call and see if they carry the 10yr aged.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky