First Charcuterie Done !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The nice thing about the Umai process is ya don't have to worry bout hanging or a curing chamber (don't get me wrong, I'd like to have a chamber & plan on it someday). Ya vac pack the meat with the spices & cure for 2 weeks, then transfer the meat to the Umai bag. The Umai bag allows for dry curing to happen. Just keep in the fridge where it can get good air flow around it until the 35% weight loss is achieved! Here's a pic of my capicola that has probably a few more weeks to go to hit the 35% loss.

Good idea on the bowl underneath. I noticed my similar capicola was leaking a little liquid also. Just wiped it with a paper towel, but a bowl would be easier.

The nice thing about the Umai process is ya don't have to worry bout hanging or a curing chamber (don't get me wrong, I'd like to have a chamber width: 500px; height: 373px">
[/URL]

Good idea on the bowl underneath. I noticed my similar capicola was leaking a little liquid also. Just wiped it with a paper towel, but a bowl would be easier.

Thank you, it's worked good so far.

Inquiring minds want to know........... did the sous chefs add to the makin?

Haha, you know they did Foam... It is a rare occasion when these two don't help! Thanks for dropping a line & the point my friend!

The nice thing about the Umai process is ya don't have to worry bout hanging or a curing chamber (don't get me wrong, I'd like to have a chamber width: 500px; height: 373px">
[/URL]

Noticed a bit of ice, not much but just a little on the surface of the bag in a crevice... Bowl probably had nothing to do with it, just trying to figure out why as the fridge according to my Mav runs a solid 38*

[/URL]
Noticed a bit of ice, not much but just a little on the surface of the bag in a crevice... Bowl probably had nothing to do with it, just trying to figure out why as the fridge according to my Mav runs a solid 38*
Justin my friend do you have the probe in a bottle of water? I use a Gator Aid bottle filled with water just drill a hole in the cap.

Richie

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Looks Awesome, Justin!!
drool.gif
---
points.gif

Sorry I'm so late---Just found this one!!

Nice Job!
icon14.gif

Bear

[/URL]

Justin my friend do you have the probe in a bottle of water? I use a Gator Aid bottle filled with water just drill a hole in the cap.
Richie

I do now, wondering if the open cup full of water was causing the issue? Really don't know! Thanks buddy!

G'gosh those slices look tasty!
Very nice.
Look forward to seeing the Capicola any day now.

:points1:

Love seeing people have such success with curing/drying meats, and it makes me want to more-n-more.
I spend a fortune when I get up in the North East and can find the real stuff in a family run charcuterie shop.

G'gosh those slices look tasty!
Very nice.
Look forward to seeing the Capicola any day now.

:points1:

Love seeing people have such success with curing/drying meats, and it makes me want to more-n-more.
I spend a fortune when I get up in the North East and can find the real stuff in a family run charcuterie shop.

Thanks CR, sorry for the very delayed response. This dry curing is a fun project. Sure appreciate ya dropping a line & the point!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky