first butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johno

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
texas , queensland
G,day peoples
story is , i found out late saturday that i would have sunday almost free but for some repairs i have to do on one of my vehicles ( roo damage repairs ). so i thought ah ha smoke time so into the freezer i dived and came up with a frozen butt that i have been waiting for the chance to smoke, being so big ( about 10 pounds ) and frozen solid i didnt want to chance it not being thawed in the morning so i ran it over my band saw straight up the middle and cut it in half , that should speed up the thaw and the cook time. the i decided i would cook one half to slice temp and leave the other half in to pull temp .
rubbed em both with jeffs rub .
and at 10.30 am sunday morning in the weber they went , with some chunks of pecan wood .at 7 pm one had reached 175 internal so out it came for slicing.
dcc5c19f_vbattach12813.jpg

e34e4cb3_vbattach12812.jpg

i am very very happy with the bark and the flavour .the other chunk of butt is still in the weber as i write this waiting for it to reach pull temp,
the smoke ring is not as good as i had hoped but the taste is good enough for me.
by the time the other one is up to temp it will be time to go home to bed , i am doing it at our shop ( store ) so i will have to pull it in the morning when we get back.
probably a bit hard for you guys to understand but my wife runs our take away shop 7 days a week 7 am to 7.30 pm and we dont leave for home until about 9.30 pm . so the only time we are at home is to sleep .in the winter we hardly see home at all in daylight.
97c41786_vbattach12815.jpg

e1af3da4_vbattach12816.jpg

f43403e8_vbattach12814.jpg

G'day eh!

Just not nice to tell folks ya pulled one off for slicing and no pic for us to drool over .....
icon_rolleyes.gif

It's a shame you couldn't keep it intact ... I think they cook better that way ... others may differ on that.

Meat looks great ... wish I was there!
icon_biggrin.gif
More pix please!

Good lookin stuff there johno. Thanks for sharing with us.

Keep Smokin

ok i took the other half of the butt to 195 not enough time to go any further.
then wrapped it in foil then in a thick towel then into the esky ( cooler to you guys ) then went home and left it for the night . came inot the shop this morning and took it out and it was still just warm .
pulled it my first pulled butt came out MAGIC .
wont be the last time i do these.
by the way cutting it in half to cook it aint so dumb cos i worked out , yes its quicker , but also gives more surface area which means more bark .
49622c23_vbattach12828.jpg

f30d09bc_vbattach12827.jpg

i dont think there is much difference deb . they are about equal .
although the sliced is a bit easier and quicker to cook and serve.
i have put some pulled into a bread roll with some jeffs sauce on it to take to work today ( going tractor driving ) should be a nice tasty lunch.
maybe after i have had lunch i will have a preference , to one or the other .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky