First But for Newbie with Details and Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sfdcapt

Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I'll start by saying this is not my recipe, I owe it to the members of the forum. Just wanted to give details for other newbies and will take any pointers from the Pros. Smoker is a MES 40 (Masterbuilt Electric Smoker)   I started this smoke with a 8 1/2 lbs Pork Butt from Sams Wholesale. The night before I rubbed it down with McCormicks AppleWood Rub Wrapped in Saran Wrap and Stuck it in the Frig. Fired up the Smoker at 8am and let come to 240 degrees (Kept the Smoker set at 240 Entire Smoking) When Smoker Came up to Temp I put in half dry and half wet Hickory and Cherry wood Chips. Waited for good Smoke and then put Butt on the second shelf down from the top and inserted Digital Probe (47 degrees) 

Fresh out of the Frig.

6f5b8308_photo1.jpg

In first 4 hrs I reloaded smoker box 3 times and never added anymore.( I was afraid to over smoke, but next time I will keep adding until 6th hr.

Just to give an Idea of time and temps

4hrs- 146 degrees

6hrs- 160 degrees

7hrs- 167 degree / pulled and wrapped with Aluminum Foil

11hrs- 192 degrees

12hrs- 201 degrees

I hit a plateu around 175 and it didn't seem like it would ever come up.

This picture is 4 hrs/146

9e266d68_photo2.jpg

This Picture Is 7 hr. when I pulled to wrap in aluminum Foil

512e3491_photo3.jpg

Of Course the Best Picture for Last!

dd8f2e88_photo4.jpg

At 12 hr / 201 degrees I pulled from smoker and wrapped in a old towel and stuck it in cooler for 1 hr

This thing turned out Awesome and bone litterally fell out when I removed foil. I also forgot to mention that when I hit the 100 degree mark I started misting with 3 to 1 Apple Juice and Captain Morgan every hour until 160 Degrees.

I want to thank everyone on the forum it was Delicious and the Wife and Kids were very impressed.

icon_cool.gif

Now your meat looks awesome and ia know it tasted really good too.

That's a nice looking butt Sfdcapt, I've seen that rub on the stores shelf and thought about trying it. Maybe I will give it a try now that you've taste tested it.
icon_wink.gif

One bit of advise, You don't want to insert your thermo probe until the the outside 1/2" of the meat is up to 140° otherwise it changes the 40°-140° in 4 rule. (with intact muscle the outside 1/2" need to be above 140° with in 4 hours)

If you puncture the meat before the outside is up to 140° then it no longer is a "intact muscle" and it's treated as ground meat,  now the  internal temp must get to 140 in 4 hours.

In your case you were at 146° in 4 hours so no big deal but I thought I'd take the opportunity to share this with the newbies.
[h4]Thanks for sharing the Q-view, [/h4][h4]Dan[/h4]

Last edited:
Congrats on your first butt which looks like a great success!  

Not at all intending to contradict Dan on probing, he does bring up a great point, however, with a butt I've always probed from the beginning and have never had any issue reaching an IT of 140* in the 3 to 4 hour range at 225*.  There are many folks who do wait until the 4 hour mark to probe and there's nothing wrong with that and it's probably a good practice if it works out for you.   For me it's just easier to stick it before I load it especially if I'm loading it in the middle of the night and am trying to catch some sleep while relying on my Maverick ET-73.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky