First Brisket in new Smoker - Q-View

Discussion in 'Beef' started by philh, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Finally had a chance to try a brisket in my new smoker a few days ago.. I have the Masterbuilt Propane XL.

I forgot to take pictures when I prepared the brisket, but I do have the pictures of the finished product.

This is a full packer I bought at WalMart. I think I paid $2.19 a lb.. It was about 11 lbs..

I seasoned the brisket with Sea Salt & Coarse Pepper. I trimmed the fat to between 1/2 to 1/4 inch. When I smoked the meat I put the fat on a rack above the brisket & let the fat drip onto the meat. The smoker temp was between 225 & 240.. Depending on the wind & if the chunks of wood started to heat up. I put the meat on about 10:00PM & removed it about 6:00PM the following evening. The internal temp was at 199. We did not wrap at all.. We like our meat done a little bit more done than most.

As you can see by the pictures below the meat sliced beautifully & tasted even better. It was very tender & moist. My wife, myself & my 7 year old boy ate every bit before wednesday came around. It was cooked the previous Sunday.

Phil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. This is my first post with pictures so please be kind.. lol :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice!  To bad it is all gone I would come over.

3. whittling chip

whittling chip Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

That's a beautiful smoke ring. If I could cook a brisket that perfect .... well, I would.

Hopefully reading great posts like this and reading this forum I'll be able to cook a brisket like yours!

Outrageous![​IMG]

4. dogcop1us

dogcop1us Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

5. Thank you for all of the kind words. I have been cooking Briskets for over 20 years on the little Brinkman Smoke N Grills. First time on a gas smoker. I'm a believer now..

Here is a pic I forgot..

[​IMG]

It shows the bark better..

Phil

6. sprky

sprky Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]

Very nice job on that brisket. looks nice and moist, with a beautiful smoke ring. I pull mine at 190-195 wrap in foil and let it rest, so you were spot on on the IT for slicing. 

7. dewetha

dewetha Smoking Fanatic

that is very tasty looking. i have the same smoker but I don't think my brisket will come out that good!

8. Looks awesome.  I'm in here looking for advice for my first brisket this weekend.  IN-laws will be test victims.  (fingers crossed)

9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great looking brisket Phil! 

Awesome smoke ring!

10. sunman76

sunman76 Master of the Pit

Man Phil your knocking them out of the park.[​IMG]

11. terry colwell

terry colwell Smoking Fanatic

Nice thick brisket,, Love how well the smoke ring stands out. Looks like you did it with a Marker...Perfect

12. one word for you ..............BEAUTIFUL !!!!!

That smoke ring is great , wish i could get that out of my electric smoker

13. wow.... that looks flawless! I would have never guessed this was you first try.

14. Awesome and with it all gone by Wednesday attest to that fact! 

15. Thanks everybody for the kind words. I've been cooking briskets for many years. Just not in this kind of smoker.

I was real surprised that it came out this well. Wife said it was one of my best..

I've done finger ribs & baby back ribs after I did the brisket.

I'll get those pics up in a few.

I bought a 3lb Chuck Roast for tomorrow. Going to try a Chuckie.. lol I'll be sure & take plenty of pics..

Phil

16. scubadoo97

scubadoo97 Smoking Fanatic

That looks GREAT! 

17. diesel

diesel Smoking Fanatic

Gold star on the smoke ring..  Looks great Phil.  Awesome idea on putting the fat over the meat.  I usually leave the fat on but I will have to try that approach. 

Can't wait to see the chukie Qview.

18. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

This is a nice and moist brisket [​IMG]

19. oops messed up..

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  20. You will. It just takes practice. I'll help anyway I can..

It will.. What kind of wood are you smoking with. I found out that does make a difference..

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask..

Thank you. It means a lot..

Thank you..

Don't think a marker would taste very good.. :( ..lol Thanks for the kind words.

I wish I could also. I bought the MES 40 the week before I bought this smoker. I haven't cooked on it since. Everything looks so much better on the gas smoker.

First try on this smoker.. lol Not my first brisket though.. Thanks

It was yummy..

I heard about putting the fat above the meat on this forum. I had never tried it before.. I will do it again. Plus the dogs loved the left over fat. Was kinda like pork rinds..

Thank you