First Brisket in new Smoker - Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Chuckies are the best.  My family still thinks I served them prime rib last night.
Thanks everybody for the kind words. I've been cooking briskets for many years. Just not in this kind of smoker.

I was real surprised that it came out this well. Wife said it was one of my best..

I've done finger ribs & baby back ribs after I did the brisket.

I'll get those pics up in a few.

I bought a 3lb Chuck Roast for tomorrow. Going to try a Chuckie.. lol I'll be sure & take plenty of pics..

Phil

Store bought pizzas or pizzas you make from scratch?

I know I can get this smoker crazy hot but never thought about cooking a pizza in one...

Phil
Looks great. Good thing abou a gasser is the high heat. I smoke pizzas in mine all the time.
icon14.gif

Good looking brisket there, did 1 today myself and looked very close to yours, must be doing something right.

Congrats on making the front page with your first Q-View!  You definitely deserved it with this masterpiece!  I have the same smoker and have been pretty pleased with it so far overall.  I don't always get the great looking bark like that with it though.  Did you foil at all or apply mop or anything during the cook?  Keep your water in your pan the whole time and how long did you give it smoke?  Would be interested to hear the exact details if you don't mind sharing since we run the same setup.  If I could consistently match your results I'd be darn happy.

Just got a Masterbuilt Electric and did a brisket that turned out pretty good. Just a couple of questions since I'm new to smoking. You said you put the Brisket on at 10pm and off at 6pm the next day. Did you add wood chips during this time and what kind of wood did you use ?  Did you have a water bowl in the smoker ?

Thanks

Greg

Just got a Masterbuilt Electric and did a brisket that turned out pretty good. Just a couple of questions since I'm new to smoking. You said you put the Brisket on at 10pm and off at 6pm the next day. Did you add wood chips during this time and what kind of wood did you use ?  Did you have a water bowl in the smoker ?

Thanks

Greg

VERY nice!  Didn't realize that a propane smoker would provide a smoke ring like that....awesome.  I've been looking at the same model (propane XL).  Good stuff, sir!!!

Well, it's lunch time over here and this post made me hungry for brisket!
biggrin.gif

By the way, I know others have mentioned this already, but that has to be the best smoke ring I've seen in an awfully long time. Congrats!!!

I just got back last night from a Cub Scout overnight trip with my son. We spent the night on the Aircraft Carrier USS Lexington in Corpus Christi, Texas. That is why I am slow in answering.

All I can say is WOW. I had no idea I was on the front page.. I am honored..

First off I did not foil the brisket at anytime.

I used Western brand OAK chunks.

I placed the chunks on a 10.5" iron skillet directly on the wood tray that came with the smoker.

I kept the water pan full.

I tried to keep the temp of the smoker at 225 - but depending on the wind & the chunks of wood it varied between 225 & 250.

I seasoned the meat on the top side only. I seem to get better flavor that way. I cooked with the fat cap down.

I used Sea Salt & a generous amount of Coarse Black Pepper. That's it. Basic..

I did trim the fat on the bottom of the brisket to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. The extra fat I placed on the rack above the brisket & let the fat baste the top of the brisket. ( I learned that trick on these forums) The dogs loved the fat after it was cooked. Kind of like beef rinds..

I did not mop or spritz the meat at anytime..

One thing I did was preheat the smoker to 225 & let sit for about 45 minutes. Water pan was full & the OAK chunks were in the skillet in the smoker. I seasoned the meat while the smoker was heating up. So when I did place the brisket in the smoker the wood was smoking & the water was up to temp.. That is probably why we got such a nice smoke ring.

I placed my wireless temp probe in the brisket in the morning. I cooked the meat until I hit a IT of 199.. We like our meat done more than most. But as you see it sliced beautifully.

I hope I helped to answer some your your questions everybody..

Again thanks for the honor of being on the front page.

Phil

P.S. I caught some kind of BAD cold bug on the trip with all of the kids. So I'm going back to bed. If you reply back I will get back to you when ever I wake back up.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky