First bacon a success, but have questions... with q-view.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lrfiv

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Nashvegas, TN
Hello, all, thanks for the info that led to my successful bacon - the best bacon I've had. I want to make even better bacon, or at least repeat this batch with less hassle. I have questions... ;)

I used the dry method at 4% salt, using the calculator from the articles section of this site, and the recommended amount of pink salt and (brown) sugar. Yes, my test fry was too salty, but I do like salty bacon (just not this salty). A 2.5 hour soak reduced the salt level to what I'd call close to perfect. I cold smoked it with applewood for 6 hours or so.

1. Can I just reduce the salt to avoid the soak? Will I need to give it more time to equalize?

2. Is Pops' wet method a way to do just that, or does it also need to soak after curing?

3. I liked that the bacon didn't pop like crazy when I fried it - no mess. Is this true of the wet cured bacon as well?

4. On frying, the fat parts turned completely clear, like glass! That was a bit surprising... I am assuming it's because of less water?

I've often wondered why historic cookbooks go on so about bacon drippings... well, now I know! The grease from store bought bacon isn't the first thing I think of when I hear the word "tasty". However, the rendered fat from my bacon (I turn it with my asbestos fingers, and lick them afterward) is dee-licious! Salty, porky, smoky goodness. I get it.

Here are the crudely sliced first pieces - no time to wait for it to firm-up in the freezer!

Here is a shot of them fried up - very tasty bacon.

And here's a shot of what I have curing now... BBB. Boning and trimming out a shoulder into BBB is hard! The "extra" bit is curing in a recipe from Ruhlman's Salumi.

Thanks for the info!

- lfriv

Ir, morning and welcome to the forum.....  good job on the bacon...   
icon14.gif
 ....  Dave

icon_cool.gif

Your bacon looks awesome and I know it taste good to. Now I do like the color a good deep dark red.

Looks like it came out perfect - I know the soak is time consuming but why mess with success 

Scarbelly, I'm beginning to accept that, why mess with success? My roommate fried up some of our last storebought bacon this morning, and I grabbed some for a snack. Compared to mine it's terrible!  It's funny how your perceptions can change.

To everyone else, thanks for the encouragement!

John,

I got a locally raised belly from Porter Road Butcher here in Nashville. It was pretty expensive! I like supporting local business, but I will need to source meat from somewhere a bit more down to Earth. Maybe a quarter or half hog farmer direct?

If anyone can point me in the direction of a good source it would be greatly appreciated.

Lowell
Lrfiv

Houston's Meat & produce quoted me a good privce for bellies early this year but I would have to buy the case. I don't have that much room.They are in Mt.Juliet.

John

Last edited:
John, maybe you'd be interested in splitting a case? Seeing as how we're so close, it was the first thing that popped into my head. If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

fpnmf, don't think I didn't study your bacon post like a kid cramming for midterms. The color! I have plans to try it that way, too, using that pops[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]6927 [/color]brine. Until then my dry cured BBB is going to get a little of that heavy smoke action. You didn't mention temperatures, and I'd be curious to know, as I'd like my BBB to have that look. I can only cold smoke right now (my smoker is made of a modern fiber-composite engineered material - cardboard). Wow, I just reread that post... 34 hours of smoke. Yes.

Who knew this would be so fun? I just finished stuffing a batch of Italian sausage, and my BBB is in the smoker. Happy.

lrfiv I am actually using the pops6927 brine right now. I have never done bacon before, but figured it was a good way to start. Ill let you know what i think. I also found a Maple dry rub recipe that I am using as well. The Bacon will be coming out of the Fridge and getting smoked in my smoker the not the upcoming weekend but the next. Hope mine comes out as good as yours!

The Color looks great!

lrfiv I am actually using the pops6927 brine right now. I have never done bacon before, but figured it was a good way to start. Ill let you know what i think. I also found a Maple dry rub recipe that I am using as well. The Bacon will be coming out of the Fridge and getting smoked in my smoker the not the upcoming weekend but the next. Hope mine comes out as good as yours!

The Color looks great!

would you mind sharing the Maple Dry Rub Recipe, PULLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!

Thanks

Aaron

dic1207 - I can't wait to hear how your bacon comes out. And I have to echo RowdyRawhide's request for the maple dry rub... you can never look at too many recipes! I learn even from the ones I don't use, especially if I can find feedback about them.

In th middle of the page is a Maple Sugar Cure I got from my meat guy who gets it here....   Use rate 2#'s / 100#'s bellies...

http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-2434-w-maple-bacon-cure.aspx  ...  I haven't tried it yet....   Going on the bellies tomorrow....   I've heard it is very good...     Dave
That cure looks good but minimum order for the maple dry rub is 50 lbs. A bit much for the weekend bacon smoker. I ordered a 5 lb package of their dry rub for bacon and will add my own maple sugar to it. Does that sound like it will work? I made brown sugar-maple syrup bacon over the weekend and it was tasty.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/128614/brown-sugar-maple-syrup-bacon#post_868730

Linguica, morning...  Your bacon looks great....   Yes on the addition of maple sugar... It should be the same....  The big deal is finding a mix that you like... most recipes from suppliers cater to the masses that buy in a store.... personalizing a recipe is what separates us from the packaged products....  That is what makes this forum great... New ideas and tastes....  Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky