First attempt at snack sticks.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matlocc

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 19, 2016
Bay City Mich
Well i read everything i could before attempting. I used collagen casings, although i think sheep may have been a better choice. I had quiet a few blow outs when i tried to pinch and fold. I smoked them up to IT of 153, then into a paper bag in the fridge.
I need to figure out how to get them closer to the same size.
I cant see how anyone could possibly make money doing this! Alot of hours for a small batch.
19c94cd0f2527362669c4ee4d112ba17.jpg
e6b2453944099e4dcb1807d16bd664c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks good to me.

As far as making money? If you dont have the needed USDA stamp on your packaging, Money is the least of your worries. Having the G-Man on your 6 is the problem.

Yeppers them look good,,,,, That is why most of us do it for fun,, I do alot of trading for my sticks,, for other things like fish or cheese to smoke,,

ML, Your sticks look great ! After smoking the sticks I just slice with a sharp knife  to get my size,the ingredients will stay inside the casing.

Thanks guys. My kids already ate half of them.  Would I be better off keeping the links long say 18 inches and tie them off, then slice.  I tried to pinch and fold (collagen casing) and it wasn't that easy. I guess tying collagen is the way to go.

A lot more hours goes into making those dang things than you think for sure! A lot depends on the size and capacity of your equipment too.

Kitchen twine is your friend. I measured the length (height) of my smoker (MES30)  and found that making the sticks 26" long, folding them in half, and tying them together at the ends to hang from on S-hooks worked pretty good. I can fit about 15-20 of them (19mm casings). Cut to desired lengths after smoking.

I used to tie at regular intervals. That took so much time. Just as much if not more Han making the damn things. Now I just plop it on the island and cut with kitchen shears at regular intervals. I go 30 cms.
You can just pinch and cut too. Much easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky