First attempt at sausage for a Texas Hotlink

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danblacksher

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Brandon, Mississippi
I could not wait. I gave it a go to make some sausage. I am waiting on the arrival of my sausage stuffer but ran a test batch. Made a Texas hot link Receipt and then made little patties with them I cold-smoked them for 3 hours at 150 and then cooked them. They are delicious. I used a pack of venison bacon burger as the meat mix and it worked nicely. I was able to achieve a good color and will look forward to when I can actually put them in a casing. They are very juicy and firm. With some high-heat pepper jack cheese these could be a keeper.

1000 grams venison bacon burger
20 grams salt
2.5 grams curing salt
40 grams powdered milk
10 grams of liquid
5 grams mustard
5 grams garlic
2.5 grams of paprika
2.5 grams of black pepper
1.5 grams of cayenne pepper

Attachments

• sausage.jpg
    sausage.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 44
They are absolutely delicious, especially with a little cheddar cheese on top dipped in coarse brown mustard.I smoked them with cherry wood. This seems it will be a great base for jalapeno and cheese and pepper jack cheese sausage. I got the stuffer and the vacuum sealer now just need the grinder.

Your screwed now, the hooks are in and your wallet will soon be pried open. It’s a fun hobby, but a bit addictive. The cool kids have the best toys.
You forgot to add that you will need to purchase a leather punch for your belt because your waistline is going to grow ! Or better yet just get some Spandex , It's easier to deal with !

Oh boy, you are hooked now!
As said above don’t skimp on the grinder & stuffer. A good one will last a lifetime.
Al

I will lol. I took another 2 packs of Venison bacon burger and made 1 pack in polish kielbasa and cold smoked the patties for 5 hours and the other pack I made into breakfast sausage and cooked a patty in a skillet after it sat all day delicious. I think I saw Alice on my way down this rabbit hole lol.

Next stop I am going to take a pack and make some brats. Not sure when my sausage stuffer will get here. That will be a challenge to take the next step of using the casings. Got all the spices I was missing so I am good just need the stuffer. I went with a 12-pound sausage stuffer because I am going to try to do my own deer processing this year. I have on average 4 deer a year processed and that is not cheap.

Not sure when my sausage stuffer will get here. That eill be a challenge taking that next step.
It does take a little practice to get the feel of it, but using a stuffer really isn't that bad. Go on youtube and look for "Two Guys and a Cooler", and Duncan Henry. They both do a lot of sausage making and show the whole process. I watched a lot of their stuff before I actually started making sausage. They have some good recipes, too.

Reactions: zwiller
Great, thank you. I have been watching Cudbbq and he makes it look easy
The guys I put you onto do as well. I'd also recommend getting the book Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Adam and Stanley Marianski. It's an extremely great resource for sausage making. Back in March, Duncan Henry did a series called Marianski March. Each day he posted a video of him making a recipe from the book.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky