Thuringer rostbrat style burger with coarse grain mustard on pretzel bun

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Was much warmer than expected so I decided to grill some brat burgers to test my thuringer style brat recipe. Approx 1Kg pork butt and a single grind through medium plate. Mix was based on Marianaski's with added NFDM and a little MSG. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/fresh/german/thuringer-rostbratwurst

Turned out well but might dial the whole caraway down a bit. A little blurry but absolutely ecstatic I remembered to take a money shot, I usually forget! Might try some thinly sliced onion on some leftovers...

20211019_190623_resized.jpg

20211019_193946_resized.jpg

20211019_210040_resized.jpg

I think I would like that recipe, cause we like the flavor of caraway seeds.
And your Pattie’s really look good!
Nice job!
Al

Reactions: zwiller
Great looking burgers. A cold beer and a couple of those and this fat boy would be set.
Jim

I think I would like that recipe, cause we like the flavor of caraway seeds.
And your Pattie’s really look good!
Nice job!
Al
THANKS. We like caraway too. I am my own worst critic... Wish the buns were homemade like your wife makes!

Looks tasty. I like the concept of not adding a bunch of stuff first time out so you get the full impact of the burger without the flavor being muddied up with a ton of stuff. Now you can decide what, if anything, you want to put on the burgers next time.

Robert
THANKS. Totally agree. A good burger should shine mostly on it's own. On that note, this brat tastes NOTHING like midwest/Johnsonville brats. VERY happy I gave it a try.

Looks great from here! thats one of my favorites. Like Al, I love the caraway too.
THANKS. First time for me but not the last time that's for sure. Gotta stuff some!

Man that shot of the grilled up patties looks amazing. Nice work bud
THANKS. That's my favorite shot too.

I'm with Jake! Those patties look great! Great grill marks!
Ryan
THANKS. Not as sexy as a Weber and charcoal but the old gasser just works.

Damn those look good. Nice work man!
THANKS

Great looking burgers. A cold beer and a couple of those and this fat boy would be set.
Jim
THANKS. This fat boy went with opposite: a couple of beers and a sandwich :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
That's one fine looking piece of work right there, Like! I like to boil up my brats when linked in beer and onions right before grilling them. I'd think some thin sliced onion would go just fine, maybe even some caramelized onions, put some on most every burger I make. RAY

That's one fine looking piece of work right there, Like! I like to boil up my brats when linked in beer and onions right before grilling them. I'd think some thin sliced onion would go just fine, maybe even some caramelized onions, put some on most every burger I make. RAY
THANKS. Love me some onions but agree with Robert tx smoker tx smoker I wanted it mostly straight up at least the first time around.

I got to agreee with Jake and Ryan. Those grill marks...mmmmm! Nice work.

Stu
THANKS. We're big fans of a good hard sear. You should see how my wife likes her hot dogs! :emoji_laughing:

Have no idea how I missed this . That looks fantastic . I'd go in straight up too .
Nice work .

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky