First attempt at pozole

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by dj mishima, Jul 10, 2011.

1. dj mishima

dj mishima Meat Mopper

First I took the left over bones & skin from two chicken(one smoked, one grilled.)  Then I added a mirepoix(carrots, onion, & celery.)

[​IMG]

Then I added some bay leaves & italian seasoning blend

[​IMG]

Oops!  I almost forgot about the backbones I had in the freezer(because I cooked them spatchcock style.)

[​IMG]

Added enough water to cover, then I set the slow cooker on low for 9 hours.

[​IMG]

After 9 hours:

[​IMG]

This is the strained stock:

[​IMG]

I put a stopper in the sink.  Then put the pot in the sink & filled with ice water.  This is so I could cool it off enough to put it in the fridge before I had to leave for work.

[​IMG]

After it has been cooled off in the refrigerator, you can skim off the excess fat.

[​IMG]

I then took about half of the stock & froze it.  When I was ready to make the soup, I took the remaining stock & reheated it.  I also took one dried ancho chile pepper, de-seeded, tore it into small pieces & toasted it on medium heat in a pan.(forgot to take a pic)  I also probably could have used two, but this was my first attempt.

Anyways, after you toast the chile till it blisters a little, then you throw them in a bowl, cover with boiling water and let them soak for 30 minutes.

[​IMG]

After 30 minutes, throw the chiles with soaking water in a blender.

[​IMG]

At this point, I added the blended chile sauce to the stock along with two cans of hominy, leftover smoked chicken & some Mexican oregano.

[​IMG]

It turned out okay, but I think I will add some garlic to the stock next time, as it was a little on the bland side(but did have smoke flavor!)  After I seasoned it with some garlic powder, onion powder, guallijo chile powder, & threw in a chipotle bouillon cube, it was much better.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
    meateater likes this.
  2. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looks great, I love me some pozole. [​IMG][​IMG]  Try adding a small can of diced green chiles. 

3. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Very interesting post!  Being a little retarded here, I never considered a slow cooker for stock.  Maybe I need a larger slow cooker.  Then again, do I have enough room to store even more toys?  Woops, I meant tools if my other half is looking?  LOL

Good luck and good smoking.

4. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very nice [​IMG]

Anything that comes from a slow cooker is good...........and smoked too! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

It sure looks good from here!

6. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wow, I never thought of the slow cooker for stock either. Brilliantly simple. Looks delicious, as do all your other posts. You're really churning out the groceries!![​IMG]

7. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That Pozole Looks Great.. Nice Step By Step Qview...

8. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

First the chihuahua abt's now pozole. I'm taking notes on your cooks cuz it's all stuff that my wife's family loves. Gonna make me a hit with the inlaws. Keep it coming!

9. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Thanks it looks great .you are on a roll well done