First attempt at pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokey S

Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
Pennsylvania
E21FDF5D-2B38-41D9-B7B9-13DB675ACFC6.jpeg
So this is only my second post as I am still very much new to smoking and this forum. My first post was about me doing ribs. They turned out terrible haha. Found out through this site the I simply didn’t cook them to a high enough IT. Second time doing ribs hey were ok. The 3rd batch were probably the best ribs I’ve ever had. Thanks again to the site for all the advice.

Rather than ask advice on smoking a pork butt I just reserched it on here. I’ve decided to go with the hot and fast approach. Smoking around 270-280, and I’ll most likely wrap around 165 degrees depending on how late in the day it is. It seems like pork butt is a pretty forgiving meat as long as I cook to around 200-205, but wish me luck anyway I’m sure I’ll need it! I’ll be posting pics of this 7 lb beauty.

Good luck, let us know the final results.

Chris

Sounds like you have done your homework!
Good luck with the butt!
I'm sure it will come out good!!
Al

Al- one of the first posts I read about cooking pork butt at a higher temp was your original “hot and fast” post. Clearly you know what you’re talking about, so it seemed like a good approach to take. We won’t get to make the homemade pretzel buns this time, but I can’t wait to try them soon!

DDB776DC-8B29-492D-A5B1-685A1CC7239C.jpeg

This this the butt at 3 hours. Looks good imo. My smoker has stayed between 270-290 the whole time, usually around 280. At this point the IT is already 149 and this is a 7 lb bone in butt. Does that seem too high at the 3 hour mark or am I ok? I’m pretty sure the probe is inserted into the middle of the thickest part away from the bone.

View attachment 371025
This this the butt at 3 hours. Looks good imo. My smoker has stayed between 270-290 the whole time, usually around 280. At this point the IT is already 149 and this is a 7 lb bone in butt. Does that seem too high at the 3 hour mark or am I ok? I’m pretty sure the probe is inserted into the middle of the thickest part away from the bone.
Thats about what you want. I haven't done 'hot and fast' but even at 225f, normally by 4 hours on a butt of that size I'd expect to see it 140f or higher.

Nice bark too; maybe I'll pick up a small butt some time to try hot and fast. I always do low and slow, 225f is my preferred temp for pork. You are right though; pork butt is very forgiving. I've recently decided I'll be injecting every one I do likely.

That's seems pretty fast for me but not impossible. Color looks about right... My average was about 14hours for 8lbs @275F. Just did 7 of them for daughters grad party. First few @ 225F and later tried 275F and honestly could not tell the difference (except time).

I've recently decided I'll be injecting every one I do likely.

Do it. Total game changer for me. I like Myron Mixon's recipe for pork injection but there are fans of commerical injections. I tweaked Mixon's a bit ( a bit sweet for me) and converted into %.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky