First attempt at Chicken Thighs ("Smoked" on Gas Grill)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Swashbuckler BBQ

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Cortland, NY
I generally stay away from Chicken when it comes to smoking, grilling, etc. I never seem to cook it just right and I'm constantly worried it's not cooked long enough. However, I've been messing around with "Smoking" on my Gas Grill the past few weekends to switch it up a bit, and decided I might as well give chicken a chance. I found a "competition" recipe online, and I happened to already have most of the rubs they were using, so I decided to try to make it close to "competition" as well.

The Lineup:

chicken-1.jpg

Butcher BBQ Bird Booster in Chipotle -> For the Injection/Brine
Butcher BBQ Grilling Oil in Chipotle -> For the Foil Pan
Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub
JP's Chicken Scratch Finishing Spice
Plowboys Sweet 180 BBQ Sauce
Firebug Hot BBQ Sauce
Wildflower Honey

The Competitors:

chicken-2.jpg

I attempted to trim it up to be mostly all the same size. Only had 2 packs of thighs, so the pickings were a bit slim. Lesson learned that if you're attempting to trim the Chicken, keep the whole skin first. That way when it's all trimmed, you'll still be able to cover the whole chicken with skin. I had a few I cut too short.

The Injection:

chicken-3.jpg

I injected it with the Bird Booster and brine it for about 2 hours in the leftovers.

The Rub:

chicken-4.jpg

In this attempt I seasoned the bottom and top with the Yardbird Rub. I did not apply the rub under the skin, and I think it worked out fine. The final product had plenty of the rub's flavor in my opinion.

The Smoke:

chicken-5.jpg

Today's Grill of choice was the Weber 210. The Amazen Smoke Tube has Pecan Pellets in it. I let it "smoke" in the foil pan (which has the Chiptole Grilling Oil in it) for 30 minutes. In retrospect, this needed to go a bit longer.

Not pictured is Foiling the top after the first 30 minutes and keeping that on for another 30 minutes. Pulled at about 150 IT.

The Sauce:

chicken-7.jpg

Dipped in a mix of the Plowboys Sweet 180, Firebug Hot and Wildflowe Honey. Put back on the Grill on a chicken rack for about 15 minutes. Was going for 160 IT. Again, this probably needed to go a bit higher.

The Final Product:

chicken-8.jpg

chicken-9.jpg

All in all, it wasn't bad for a first attempt or for being on a Gas Grill. The Skin was definitely not 100% bite through unless I took a very deliberate bite. Next time I do Chicken Thighs, I think I need to go a bit higher IT. 160 (ish) is done, but not quite the level of tenderness I'm looking for. Maybe 175-180 or so? I also would like for a bit more uniform sauce coating across the chicken. They look alright, but there's room for improvement. Not quite sure what I did wrong there, as I submerged them in the sauce.

From a taste perspective, I really enjoyed all the different flavors. All the injections, rubs and sauces is not something I'd pull out every time I want to make some chicken, but it was fun to experiment.

Last edited:
Nice write up and the finished product looks good to me.

I just threw some thighs on my pellet grill, kind of a first try for me too. I do wings all the time and I'm running basically the same steps, just assuming I'll have to lengthen the time for the thighs.

they look good from here, yeah if you want crispier skin you'll have to crank up the heat when they're getting close to done.

160 is to low for bone in skin on thighs,I generally tend to go to 170-175 in this case.You can always flash crisp the skin in a super hot grill or oven without affecting the IT.

This is just me opining but in the final pic the chicken looks underdone to me.

Good report. Glad you're trying various rubs just for experience. So you're saying there was no clear winner huh? Oh well, live and learn. Would be curious what it takes to get that "crispy" skin we're all after.
Don

160 is to low for bone in skin on thighs,I generally tend to go to 170-175 in this case.You can always flash crisp the skin in a super hot grill or oven without affecting the IT.

This is just me opining but in the final pic the chicken looks underdone to me.

Can’t disagree with that. I’ll definitely try to run it a bit longer next time. The flavors all came together nicely, so at least I got something out of it. Good thing Chicken is cheap, can keep experimenting!

165* degrees is considered a safe temp for bone-in thighs with clear running juices. To get crispy skin you'll need to cook at temps above 325*

Chris

Reactions: tallbm and drdon
Yup---Thighs are the best!!
And Yours look real Nice!! Like.
I too like to go to at least 165°, and it doesn't hurt thighs a bit to go to 170--175°, like Norm said.

Bear

Reactions: tallbm
165* degrees is considered a safe temp for bone-in thighs with clear running juices. To get crispy skin you'll need to cook at temps above 325*

Chris

Yeah I guess I figured they’d come up to temp in the rest since only needed another 5 degrees. I don’t do chicken often haha :)

Thanks for the tips though, all! I’ll be getting some more chicken tomorrow and trying round 2.

I generally stay away from Chicken when it comes to smoking, grilling, etc. I never seem to cook it just right and I'm constantly worried it's not cooked long enough. However, I've been messing around with "Smoking" on my Gas Grill the past few weekends to switch it up a bit, and decided I might as well give chicken a chance. I found a "competition" recipe online, and I happened to already have most of the rubs they were using, so I decided to try to make it close to "competition" as well.

The Lineup:

View attachment 403324

Butcher BBQ Bird Booster in Chipotle -> For the Injection/Brine
Butcher BBQ Grilling Oil in Chipotle -> For the Foil Pan
Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub
JP's Chicken Scratch Finishing Spice
Plowboys Sweet 180 BBQ Sauce
Firebug Hot BBQ Sauce
Wildflower Honey

The Competitors:

View attachment 403325

I attempted to trim it up to be mostly all the same size. Only had 2 packs of thighs, so the pickings were a bit slim. Lesson learned that if you're attempting to trim the Chicken, keep the whole skin first. That way when it's all trimmed, you'll still be able to cover the whole chicken with skin. I had a few I cut too short.

The Injection:

View attachment 403326

I injected it with the Bird Booster and brine it for about 2 hours in the leftovers.

The Rub:

View attachment 403327

In this attempt I seasoned the bottom and top with the Yardbird Rub. I did not apply the rub under the skin, and I think it worked out fine. The final product had plenty of the rub's flavor in my opinion.

The Smoke:

View attachment 403328

Today's Grill of choice was the Weber 210. The Amazen Smoke Tube has Pecan Pellets in it. I let it "smoke" in the foil pan (which has the Chiptole Grilling Oil in it) for 30 minutes. In retrospect, this needed to go a bit longer.

Not pictured is Foiling the top after the first 30 minutes and keeping that on for another 30 minutes. Pulled at about 150 IT.

The Sauce:

View attachment 403329

Dipped in a mix of the Plowboys Sweet 180, Firebug Hot and Wildflowe Honey. Put back on the Grill on a chicken rack for about 15 minutes. Was going for 160 IT. Again, this probably needed to go a bit higher.

The Final Product:

View attachment 403330

View attachment 403331

All in all, it wasn't bad for a first attempt or for being on a Gas Grill. The Skin was definitely not 100% bite through unless I took a very deliberate bite. Next time I do Chicken Thighs, I think I need to go a bit higher IT. 160 (ish) is done, but not quite the level of tenderness I'm looking for. Maybe 175-180 or so? I also would like for a bit more uniform sauce coating across the chicken. They look alright, but there's room for improvement. Not quite sure what I did wrong there, as I submerged them in the sauce.

From a taste perspective, I really enjoyed all the different flavors. All the injections, rubs and sauces is not something I'd pull out every time I want to make some chicken, but it was fun to experiment.

Hi there and welcome!

If you want better skin then start grilling them bone side down for like the 1st 3rd of the cook and then flip and leave them skin side down with a low flame on their side of the grill. Then a little before you pull them off apply your sauce at the end of the cook.

Chicken skin doesn't like to get edible unless cooked at high enough temps even if doing an indirect heat grilling.

This should help you out a little bit. Best of luck on the next attempt! :)

Another way to get crispy skin is place in a cold pan. (cast iron preferably) skin side down. turn to high allow to heat slowly when sounds like a deep fryer, cook for about 5 more minutes. i fully admit i have never done this after seasoning and cooking.

Heating a cold CI fry pan with high heat is a good way to warp the pan. Just saying IMO. Heat the pan in the oven at 350 ° or so for 15 min. Remove and place on a burner and run the heat to medium or a bit higher. with oil added. Put the chicken off the smoker in the fry pan and fry till the skin is the texture you want. Using a clear lid lets you watch while it fry's. Have not done a lot of smoking but have used CI for cooking a fair amount.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky