Firm pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Does anyone have a secret to kind of firm up already canned slicer pickles ? The ones I made this year for some reason all seam to be limp and kinda mushy. Any tricks?

I'm with SonnyE on this alum is used to crisp pickles. Also in bread and butter pickles we use to ice down the slices for a period of time then cook them as recipe said and they would be crisp. Don't think there is any after the fact way to make them crisp.

Warren

Been a long time since we made pickles but I do remember not to overcook and alum like Sonny said.

My grandma sadly never wrote down all her recipes before she passed away or I'd dig into them.

Yeah, I don't think there's anything you can do. Pickled veggies get soft because their cell walls get broken down - no way to fix that once it occurs.

As far as preventive measures. alum is not effective for quick-process pickles made with vinegar, but can help keep fermented pickles firmer. But I'd suggest calcium chloride instead.

I did ice them down for about 5 prior to processing, but I can't find the recipe that I used. I don't remember using any alum like my grandmother did. Didn't know if that was the reasoning why they didn't firm up. I think I'm stuck with what I got, have to go back to the drawing board on the new crop. Thanks all...

You can use Pickle-Crisp made by Ball, grape leaves also work. The FDA now warns against the use of Alum for pickles. I make Sweet, Bread and butter and Dill (all quick process from Mrs. Wages), the only ones I ever had a problem with were the dills.

If making chips, make them about 1/4" a mandolin helps with speed and consistency. I put mine in a bowl and fill with water and put them in the fridge for a few hours, this helps crisp them up. Also if you can make your brine and let it cool down a fair amount this also helps. Then process for your altitude. Let sit for at least 2 weeks and then put in the fridge for a few hours before opening, you'll have good crispy pickles.

Also if you grow pickling cucumber to make your pickles and have to wait several day between picking to get enough to make a batch, wash, slice and put in water until you have enough. That keeps them better than just letting them in the crisper drawer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky