1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Firm pickles

Discussion in 'Canning & Storage' started by Winterrider, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Winterrider

Winterrider Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Does anyone have a secret to kind of firm up already canned slicer pickles ? The ones I made this year for some reason all seam to be limp and kinda mushy. Any tricks?

2. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

3. I can sweet sliced pickles. Mine are nice and crisp and crunchy. The trick is not to over-cook them or they will be mushy.

4. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm with SonnyE on this alum is used to crisp pickles. Also in bread and butter pickles we use to ice down the slices for a period of time then cook them as recipe said and they would be crisp. Don't think there is any after the fact way to make them crisp.

Warren

5. Jeff Wright

Jeff Wright Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I think the blue pill might firm the pickle too!

SonnyE likes this.
  6. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

Been a long time since we made pickles but I do remember not to overcook and alum like Sonny said.

My grandma sadly never wrote down all her recipes before she passed away or I'd dig into them.

7. bregent

bregent Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Yeah, I don't think there's anything you can do. Pickled veggies get soft because their cell walls get broken down - no way to fix that once it occurs.

As far as preventive measures. alum is not effective for quick-process pickles made with vinegar, but can help keep fermented pickles firmer. But I'd suggest calcium chloride instead.

8. Winterrider

Winterrider Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I did ice them down for about 5 prior to processing, but I can't find the recipe that I used. I don't remember using any alum like my grandmother did. Didn't know if that was the reasoning why they didn't firm up. I think I'm stuck with what I got, have to go back to the drawing board on the new crop. Thanks all...