Fires , Too close for comfort

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Things are starting to look up for you and Mona, David. "Contained but out of control" is a huge improvement over just "out of control". Like you said, the weather today is forecasting rain tonight and all weekend, so as long as your luck holds (please God) until the rain, then you should be out of the woods. But don't let your guard down until lots of rain has fallen.
Just a quick side note. Its rained here on and off for 3 days (Wed, Thurs, Fri) so pretty sure the fires around Drayton Valley are out. Course I haven't been able to work for 4 days--but that's still a lot better than the alternatives. :emoji_confounded: :emoji_confounded: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
We're sure hoping your weather report is true!!! Keep posting and trust it is.
Gary and Miss Linda

Thanks Gary, yes the weather has broken a bit, cooled right down to almost 10 deg. C, ( 20 + deg. drop ) at supper time, and very light rain off and on today around here.
But tonight calling for some real rain Hallay F***ing lula, But like you mentioned we need a few days of nice steady soak in the ground rain.

Glad you think yours is out , fingers crossed. And yes the alternatives ....never mind that. :emoji_hear_no_evil::emoji_hear_no_evil:

I think yours and everyone's prayers helped, Thank you

Thank you Gary and Miss Linda

David

• Love
Reactions: GaryHibbert
I’m glad you guys are still safe. I know Canada fire fighters came with some really big helicopters to help fight the monstrous Fires in Ca west coast a few years ago. I’m glad Montana sent help and I hope California does too.

I can't remember if this has been mentioned, but they're thinking that one fire was started by someone burning leaves with a propane torch, and the other was started by someones bon-fire.

Stay safe folks in New Scotland, no rain yet here in New England(my part) but the clouds are starting to creep in.

Chris

Hi Chris

Here is a bit to fix up what is being posted on a few different stations I have noticed.

Our fire was started by a lady that was burning rubbish/garbage or trash. Her neighbors said she burns things about every 3 days or so, and they are always complaining to her.
The big one down south prov. not sure yet but they think human error,

Now the province has put on a burn alert. No fires, open flames, camp fires , fireworks etc
The fines have been posted up now that if caught any where from $247.99 (?? around that ) - $ 25,000. from the province and up to $ 10,000. from the city
with a total over possible of $ 35,000.

And even with this , they have had to go have a talking to 9 different people ( they did not say what they were fined ) I myself think it should be posted and their picture in the paper or on TV, but that is just me. :emoji_angry::emoji_angry::emoji_angry:

Yes one guy yesterday was the one caught burning leaves with a roofing ( weed ) torch, and the other person they talked about on the news was burning twigs and branches , bonfire in his yard. There are people already complaining that they cannot go in the woods and do things . Jee whiz do they not know we are in a crisis here. ** insert angry emoji's again

They say you can't fix stupid, I say yes I can , and it will be very painful for the stupid one. And I might get free room and board for awhile :emoji_angry::emoji_angry::emoji_angry:

Rain is coming Chris, with our big cold front, and we will gladly take it .

Thanks for the comment

David

I’m glad you guys are still safe. I know Canada fire fighters came with some really big helicopters to help fight the monstrous Fires in Ca west coast a few years ago. I’m glad Montana sent help and I hope California does too.

Yes we are doing fine , just on edge not really knowing. I think tomorrow will be a less stressful day ( if the rain really starts tonight )

Yes we have no problem helping out if we can, and will always except the help from others also.

Like Gary GaryHibbert GaryHibbert said even if the flames are down the ground is still hot with embers for awhile.

So send them if you can :emoji_sunglasses:

David

Reactions: GaryHibbert
247.99 how/who came up with that dollar amount?

We're also on a high burn alert no bon-fires or campfires. We had a neighbor who used to burn trash about once a month. My other neighbor who was a game warden quickly put an end to that practice. Good luck and your right you can't fix stupid. I wonder if the dudlies will bring arson charges against some of those folks.

Chris

247.99 how/who came up with that dollar amount?

We're also on a high burn alert no bon-fires or campfires. We had a neighbor who used to burn trash about once a month. My other neighbor who was a game warden quickly put an end to that practice. Good luck and your right you can't fix stupid. I wonder if the dudlies will bring arson charges against some of those folks.

Chris
I think that and I was not sure of the exact amount but it is the fine plus admin fees .

They did say on last nights news that they can and might charge the people if they can prove it fully

And they said also they can charge them for the cost of the fighting of the fires if they want, even the cost to go and stop the bozo's that are still burning in their yards. To send police and fire crews and trucks plus the fines, I really wish they would and not just threaten them.

On a bad note , there are already scams on line for sending money to help out the firefighters and the people that lost everything, it did not take long for the scum to raise to the top of the barrel.

David

Reactions: gmc2003
On a bad note , there are already scams on line for sending money to help out the firefighters and the people that lost everything, it did not take long for the scum to raise to the top of the barrel.
Humanity at its finest. That didn't take long.
And they said also they can charge them for the cost of the fighting of the fires if they want, even the cost to go and stop the bozo's that are still burning in their yards. To send police and fire crews and trucks plus the fines, I really wish they would and not just threaten them.
That could quickly add up to a few Queen Elizabeth's

I think that and I was not sure of the exact amount but it is the fine plus admin fees .
That makes more sense.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Good luck and your right you can't fix stupid. I wonder if the dudlies will bring arson charges against some of those folks.

Chris

They did say on last nights news that they can and might charge the people if they can prove it fully

David
The maritime Mounties are keeping a pretty low profile after all the shyte raised and still on the front burner over their totally lame and incompetent "handling" of the mass shooting out there last year. So don't expect much from them unless they have a completely airtight case with a 199% guaranteed conviction. They can't afford more bad press.
Gary

Thanks Gary, yes the weather has broken a bit, cooled right down to almost 10 deg. C, ( 20 + deg. drop ) at supper time, and very light rain off and on today around here.
But tonight calling for some real rain Hallay F***ing lula, But like you mentioned we need a few days of nice steady soak in the ground rain.

Glad you think yours is out , fingers crossed. And yes the alternatives ....never mind that. :emoji_hear_no_evil::emoji_hear_no_evil:

I think yours and everyone's prayers helped, Thank you

Thank you Gary and Miss Linda

David
Aw man, that's great news David!!!!!!!!!! So glad to hear this.
Gary

David I sure hope you get lots of rain so you and Mona can get a break from the stress of waiting and wondering! You and countless others. And to give the firefighters a much needed break! Simply can't imagine the stress you all are going through!

Ryan

David I sure hope y'all are getting some pouring rain and it lasts long enough to get all those fires out or totally contained. I know you and Mona must be extremely stressed by now hopefully that is ending very soon and it gets a whole lot better and you two can relax a bit and think about something else.

Saturday Morning, Up date

up at usual 5:30, been raining all night and very glad it did .
Waiting for any news feed from the actual fire area.

But I am happy for the rain and cool weather for the folks trying to stop the madness.

Thank god there are people that run in when most run out , Hero's all of them.

It is a nice feeling even though I know we are not over this yet. But nice to now relax albeit just a bit, but i will take it .
I know that Mona finally is having a good sleep, as it was raining when she went to bed last night, :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

And again thanks to all that have given genuine thoughts of concern, SMF folks rock. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:🤠

David and Mona

Humanity at its finest. That didn't take long.

That could quickly add up to a few Queen Elizabeth's

That makes more sense.

Chris

" Humanity at its finest. That didn't take long."
Yes Chris, did not take long at all

" That could quickly add up to a few Queen Elizabeth's "
More coin than I can imagine

" That makes more sense. "
Did you mean cents, lol nice to joke around a little again

Thanks Chris , We are a strong and giving folk

But come on now , the last couple years have worn even my smile down a bit
2 hurricanes, bad ice storm, the mass murder's ( 22 dead ) Covid and now the fires

It has been quite a couple of years:emoji_angry::emoji_angry::emoji_disappointed:

David

The maritime Mounties are keeping a pretty low profile after all the shyte raised and still on the front burner over their totally lame and incompetent "handling" of the mass shooting out there last year. So don't expect much from them unless they have a completely airtight case with a 199% guaranteed conviction. They can't afford more bad press.
Gary

Thanks Gary,
You are right everyone that hates them is just waiting for them to mess up more.

I don't want to get too political here on SMF, but yes I don't blame them for making sure they have all the facts before jumping the gun on anything now.

From an outsiders point of view ( meaning Me, as I am not a cop/Rcmp ) and only going by what I have read , or on TV, but have talked to a friend whos sun is RCMP, yes they were not prepared for what that crazy person had planed out for a while .

I cannot imagine what they were thinking and how to tackle it , mistakes were made and hearts were pounding, so everything in that 2 day killing spree would have been terrible for them, on day two, tryig to find him . Cst. Heidi Stevenson rammed her car into the gunman's Fake exact replica of a RCMP car, to stop him, gun fight broke out and she was killed.

I stand behind what they did in the 2 day battle with this jerk, it was was just luck they found him at a gas station in the car he was in ( he changed cars a couple times ) also was heading to Halifax /Dartmouth with a list of more people to kill. Thank god they stopped him. But it was too late as 22 people were murdered.

Yes it has come out that a lot of things should have been done , way before he did what he did in those two days .
So yes they dropped the ball on him way before and they now trying to get back into the good graces of a lot of people

I for one am glad they still patrol or roads and highways, sorry for the rant, This was not pointed at anyone,

and yes Gary I imagine they are very nervous about doing the right thing even with all their ducks in a row.

David

David I sure hope you get lots of rain so you and Mona can get a break from the stress of waiting and wondering! You and countless others. And to give the firefighters a much needed break! Simply can't imagine the stress you all are going through!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan, it started last night and we are very happy for it .
Stress level already down , I know it is only one day. But we will take it 1 day at a time

David

David I sure hope y'all are getting some pouring rain and it lasts long enough to get all those fires out or totally contained. I know you and Mona must be extremely stressed by now hopefully that is ending very soon and it gets a whole lot better and you two can relax a bit and think about something else.

Yes thank you very much, its raining and things are staying wet, Have not heard yet , but I imagine the guys and gals on the ground are very happy as I am very very happy.

And yes it will be nice to have something else to worry about for awhile, lol
Like what to cook for supper or do I want 1 rum and coke or 2 . Nice just to have some humor again .

But still sad for everyone that lost so much, and now soon must rebuild their life.

David

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky