Fires , Too close for comfort

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
:emoji_pray: Stay safe, hopefully you don't have to jump ship.

Yes thank you , we will . We are ready but hope we don't have to
This morning very weird, no wind at all very cool. But temp and wind rising fast and a change in the wind direction.
So still waiting to see what happens.
Kind of in limbo, can't even go to work as to far from home if the alert goes off.

David

Keeping my fingers crossed for you are yours David.

Thanks Steve, we are and will. Just the waiting is the killer right now.
But so many have been told to leave their homes 16,000 plus
Over 200 homes and structures damaged or gone. They are the ones I fell bad for , even if the fires were finished today they are still not allowed back into the bad zone for 7 days because of the conditions

David

WOW David, you Mona and the pups stay safe. I had to work over the weekend so I only logged on a couple of times just to check to see if there were any TD questions. We had a small air quality alert over the weekend, and I figured it was just you firing up your smoker. I didn't realize Scotia was burning. Our forecast is only showing a possible T-storm on Friday. It's been kind of windy here the last couple of days. There's a big high pressure system over Canada and a low pressure system in NY. We're in the middle of it. Which is keeping the hot dry weather around.

Again be safe, and check in on any elderly neighbors you may have. Their often forgotten when emergencies like this arise.

Keep a cool head, and if you wind up in my neck of the woods reach out.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Yes thank you , we will . We are ready but hope we don't have to
This morning very weird, no wind at all very cool. But temp and wind rising fast and a change in the wind direction.
So still waiting to see what happens.
Kind of in limbo, can't even go to work as to far from home if the alert goes off.

David
I know what the waiting is like--terrible. But no matter how long it lasts, my friend, there's still hope you won't have to evacuate. God knows Miss Linda and I are pulling for you and Mona.
Gary

Damn David, this is scary as all get-out. I've been keeping up with the thread to see if there were any updates from you. Nothing as of yet saying you had to evacuate so hoping that's still (and will remain) the case. Thought are with you, Mona, the pups, and all those who have lost so much. Keep us posted as best you can please.

Robert

We are still ok and thank everyone for the concerns and the well wishes.
We are good , but someone in the family is stressed right to HER limit, trying to keep her mind off of it .

Sorry for the late update, been a busy day around the yard trying to keep busy and our mind off of the fires, yes fires.

A new one just broke out closer to Halifax . A little more south of us.

The wind has shifted like I mentioned it would , now we can smell and see the smoke around us like a light haze. Hard on the throat,

The new fire about 15 minutes in almost the same direction from us but closer to Halifax, is not good as it is mostly residential, condos and apartments etc.
It is not a spark or jump from the first fire it is completely new. They put a whole province ban on any kind of burning even BBQ's as of Sunday night.
Yesterday and today the DLAF said they had over 9 or so cases of people burning in their yards , I hope they received very large fines , but probably just a talking to. A$s *ole's

David

• Wow
Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
WOW David, you Mona and the pups stay safe. I had to work over the weekend so I only logged on a couple of times just to check to see if there were any TD questions. We had a small air quality alert over the weekend, and I figured it was just you firing up your smoker. I didn't realize Scotia was burning. Our forecast is only showing a possible T-storm on Friday. It's been kind of windy here the last couple of days. There's a big high pressure system over Canada and a low pressure system in NY. We're in the middle of it. Which is keeping the hot dry weather around.

Again be safe, and check in on any elderly neighbors you may have. Their often forgotten when emergencies like this arise.

Keep a cool head, and if you wind up in my neck of the woods reach out.

Chris

First off , thank you Chris for the safety wishes. And the concerns

I wish it was just from one of my smoker fails, for the bad air smoke. But it is not.

There are at least 10 fires in Nova Scotia right now 7 sort of under control, 3 large major ones are not
2 of them now near us and the largest one down near Yarmouth ( close to Maine ) end of Nova Scotia

No rain here until Friday

David

• Wow
Reactions: gmc2003
I know what the waiting is like--terrible. But no matter how long it lasts, my friend, there's still hope you won't have to evacuate. God knows Miss Linda and I are pulling for you and Mona.
Gary

Yes Gary , we were thinking by today it would be under control. Did not happen.

Than at 6 pm tonight a new one started in a subdivision in Bedford area, closer to Halifax and kind of closer to us from a different angle.
Both fires are with in 15 - 20 minutes from us . Expecting one of the alerts on the phone that are going off at least every hour or so to be for us
to get out.
We are ready

That you both Gary and Miss Linda for the prayers , But watching the news, feel very bad for the folks that have lost so much , homes and pets etc

David and Mona

Damn David, this is scary as all get-out. I've been keeping up with the thread to see if there were any updates from you. Nothing as of yet saying you had to evacuate so hoping that's still (and will remain) the case. Thought are with you, Mona, the pups, and all those who have lost so much. Keep us posted as best you can please.

Robert

Thank you Robert, we are still at home , but Mona's car is packed with what ever we think we might need for a few days for her and the pups .
Me, a bag with clean drawers and a toothbrush, and i'm good. lol

Will keep you all updated as we know more. But with the new fire that just broke out , hard to say what will happen.

David and Mona

Stay Safe David, I hope everything works out for you all. The smoke and haze hit us down here in Long Island, NY at about 4 pm today....crazy.

Stay safe and get out if it gets too close. We have had a few get real close to us but have been lucky so far. The closest was in 2019. I stayed until the last minute.

The fire went around our housing tract and we thought all was good but at 2am the winds shifted and got real strong. I went out back and it was raining red hot ashes. It got a few houses up the street and ended right up to our property line. That's when I grabbed the dogs and met my wife at her work and headed over to my parents house.

tick_fire_002.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky