Fires , Too close for comfort

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh man David prayers for safety and rain !
Gotta be a helpless feeling.

Keith

Thanks Keith, yes very helpless feeling . I am not good with just waiting.
At least I have some things around yard and on SMF once in a while to help take mind off of it for a bit.

David

I know what your going through 4r ears ago we had ton of fly ash land on our deck and street light came on at 3:00 in the afternoon. It was scary. Thinking of everyone in NS and Alberta.

Thank you Hank, today the air right here is clear and cant smell the smoke . Wind must have shifted again. Yesterday was smokie and harsh to breath.
I ran to hardware store 8 minutes down the road, lots of smoke and light ash.

Waiting for news and the alerts, really is nerve wracking. They went off quite a bit late last night because of the new fire that started

David

Stay safe and get out if it gets too close. We have had a few get real close to us but have been lucky so far. The closest was in 2019. I stayed until the last minute.

The fire went around our housing tract and we thought all was good but at 2am the winds shifted and got real strong. I went out back and it was raining red hot ashes. It got a few houses up the street and ended right up to our property line. That's when I grabbed the dogs and met my wife at her work and headed over to my parents house.

View attachment 666773

Thanks Chris, Wow that is too close, glad it worked out for you.
We had very heavy winds on Sunday and part of Monday, and it keeps shifting

Waiting for news and the alerts, really is nerve wracking. They went off quite a bit late last night because of the new fire that started

New day, we are still home and just waiting for the alerts, hopefully none of them will be for our area, wish it was for no one.

Rain can't get here soon enough. ( expecting Friday )

David

• Wow
Reactions: crazymoon
Rain, rain, and more rain are my wishes for you !
Waiting and wondering are a stressful thing.

Thanks Winter, wish harder with me also, Not until late Friday and most of the weekend.
The folks with boots on the ground need the help of the rain, especially with more little fires popping up.
or the new one that is contained sort of, but still a wild fire .

David

No real change for us here at our place,
But the fire commanders on the ground just did a news break and are saying that bad weather day today for them
breeze up to 30KM, very low humidity and very warm close to 28 deg. C

13 wild fires here now ( NS )with 3 out of control, 2 of those are near us. First one that started is now over 837 hectares
and not sure how big the second one is near us, but very populated for both
But the biggest and worse is in the lower end of the province, it has doubled in the last couple days , it is over 18,000 hectares

David

I've been watching the fires and the weather out your way. Looks like if you can hold on til Friday you should be OK--3 days of rain should put you in pretty good territory. It did us.
So keep praying. And none of those negative vibes, my friend.
Gary
Yes we are all looking forward to the rain, even for the weekend. Bring it on.

We are doing ok, the 2nd fire near by was a kick in the rear. But the folks on the ground and air are working hard
Trying to save everything they can

I just did the math and 18000 hectares is approx 44,500 acres.
Gary
Yes the big fire near Shelburne area is very bad,

This is from Nasa Earth page
" Smoke billowed from a fire near the town of Shelburne on May 29, when an astronaut on the International Space Station took this photograph. By the morning of May 31, after four days of burning, the fire had scorched 17,000 hectares (66 square miles) near the southern tip of Nova Scotia. It became the largest forest fire in the province’s history, "
1685588169200.png

Around the same time, a smaller fire burned near Halifax, the province’s capital. As of May 31, this blaze had consumed 837 hectares (3 square miles) near the heavily populated region, spurring the evacuation of 16,000 people. About 200 homes and other structures were damaged, according to Nova Scotia’s government.

Bring on the rain

David

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Here in BC they used to say 3 days of + 30 degrees and less than 30% humidity, and winds over 30 kms === Holly sh_t we are in trouble, then ground crews were pulled out.

Yes that is what they were saying about today, had to keep an extra eye on everything for the safty of the workes on the grouind

David

Friday Morning here now. ( We , Mona and I . Are still doing fine . Just waiting and wondering )

We had a little rain ( very little , but will take all ) during the night that was not expected here. Hope they got this and more at all the fires.
We are expecting rain tonight and than for 3-4 days.

Yesterday we tried to stay busy around the yard and just do normal stuff. Had to go in a few times as the smoke would roll in for a while than roll back out .
I can't imagine how bad it is right at the fires , for the workers . God bless them all for what they do , and I know how hard they work ( I was a volunteer Fire back in the 80's ) and I know what it is like to run around in the gear , but in this heat, thank god therte are folks that do this.

Couple building fires right down town Halifax, 1 very large old building ( 190? ) It looked like construction was going on at them both.
Can't trust carpenters ( meant as a bad joke )

We had record high temps here for June 1st 33.5 in Halifax, out here we were at 34/35 most of the day

Will try to keep you up dated

Sorry, the fires close to me are contained but still out of control in the containment area , its all about how the wind works with us

The bigger fire to the south in Shelbourn county, has gotten worse and eating up the forests and properties ,

We need mother nature to help now.
There are fire Dept's from every where helping and coming soon to help
The military and Provinces and New England States are also on the way to help.... Thank you everyone

David and Mona

Things are starting to look up for you and Mona, David. "Contained but out of control" is a huge improvement over just "out of control". Like you said, the weather today is forecasting rain tonight and all weekend, so as long as your luck holds (please God) until the rain, then you should be out of the woods. But don't let your guard down until lots of rain has fallen.
Just a quick side note. Its rained here on and off for 3 days (Wed, Thurs, Fri) so pretty sure the fires around Drayton Valley are out. Course I haven't been able to work for 4 days--but that's still a lot better than the alternatives. :emoji_confounded: :emoji_confounded: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
We're sure hoping your weather report is true!!! Keep posting and trust it is.
Gary and Miss Linda

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I can't remember if this has been mentioned, but they're thinking that one fire was started by someone burning leaves with a propane torch, and the other was started by someones bon-fire.

Stay safe folks in New Scotland, no rain yet here in New England(my part) but the clouds are starting to creep in.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Friday update:

felt a little better this morning as it must have rained a tiny bit as there were puddles in my bad pavement driveway.
But not enough to wet the ground under the trees in my yard, BUT it is coming.

Off and on sprinkles all day cloudy instead of smoke near us. A long way to go but it is coming

Rain coming in from the north ( New Brunswick, and beyond ) Still calling for rain tonight and off and on rain and showers for the next at least 4 maybe more days .
I hope it is enough to give the ground a good drink
And all the men and women on the ground a break, they need the help from mother nature.
The good thing for them and us is the temp dropped almost 20 degs here in the last 4 hours and will be unseasonably cooler for the next week. :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
The big fire in the south of the province is still very bad

Heard that Montana sent in 3 water bombers, plus lots of other help arriving daily, and the firefighters we sent last week up north to help them, are back home again and right back at it , here .

GOD BLESS everyone , helping with the fire and helping the firefighters and all the support groups , the animal rescuers , people that are donating what ever they can to the folks that lost everything.

I personally want to express my heartfelt thank you to everyone here ( SMF ) for the mural support that this big family is giving to Mona and I.
Trying to stay positive for Mona is tough ,( but the anxiety of not knowing is very high and seeing what is being lost by others ) but I know it could be very bad at any minute , if things change and I know they can so very fast. But as we sit here in the house or in our yard, it is hard to fathom if I did not watch the tv or listen to the radio just what is really going on.
So thank you one and all

Thank you Thank you, will keep you all posted as I can

David and Mona

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky