Firefighter trying to build smoker ( Newbie)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gyeakle

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Indiana
Hello, Trying to build a RF smoker/charcoal grill for this summer for cook outs . Need help. We got a 250gal propane tank . Need to know the size of FB and the doors (2) air intake . Any help would be great. Please email to [email protected] or [email protected]. We are from INDIANA .  Thanks again

icon_cool.gif

First off welcome to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are alot of really good folks that would just love to help you with anything to do with smoking. Now we like having new folks here to give a new prospective on some of the ways we do things around here. Now if you are really new then I would suggest that you sign up fir the 5-day E-course it free and it will give you the basics on smoking and a few recipes too. Here's a link to it:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/list/127

then you will have a method to your newly found madness and believe me it will be a madness. Then when you start smoking things you will have to learn how to post the pictures / Qview 

here. So here's a link to a tutorial on how to post your Qview so we can see what your doing.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

Now the next thing you have to do is run out and get something to smoke. Then just smoke it and if you have any questions just post  them here and we will answer all your questions that you might have. Oh yea there's no stupid questions we were all there in the beginning and we just really like to help others enjoy the fabulous smoked foods that we do. So again

Welcome to Your New Addiction  

GO GATORS  

Welcome to SMF. Your gonna have that smoker built in no time with the help of the guys here, many of them have built their own. Good luck.

Thanks guys, Your right about alot of good people in this form. I have been in alot and you people are the best. THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Got a stupid question. Can you use your RF smoker as charcoal inside the pit. ? I am not talking about putting charcoal in the firebox.

gyeakle- no need to add charcoal to the drip pan. I'm able to get the chamber temps on my Model 60 Deluxe up to 350° just with the fire in the fire box. That temp works out great when I'm grilling chickens or lots of burgers. The rf plate or drip pan (whichever you want to call it) absorbs a lot of heat as the smoke passes underneath the plate. That heat then radiates up into the food chamber-the hotter the fire in the box-the hotter the plate becomes.

Thanks Dutch, How big is your model 60 ? I am trying 250gal propane tank. Maybe to big for me.

Thanks Dutch, How big is your model 60 ? I am trying 250gal propane tank. Maybe to big for me.
The dimensions on my rig is 62 inches by 23 inches.

44c13ce9_60deluxm.jpg

If you think your 250 gal. tank is too large, you can always cut it in have and make 2 smokers.

Last edited:

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky