Fireboard drive vertical cabinet smoker recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wesir

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 28, 2014
Greenwood, IN
Looking for recommendations for a vertical cabinet smoker on the medium to higher end that can be used in combination with a fireboard drive to maintain temperature. I was looking at an Ironside CDR with the pellet assist but got a response to some questions I asked saying they're no longer making smokers :( so I'm back to researching. The other one I was looking at was the large IVS from Lone Star Grillz ($500 difference between the mini and large I'd prefer the extra capacity). Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Price range - preferably under $7,000 after upgrades (if it's something that requires welding/etc like extra shelf rails I'll probably get it since you can't order it later)

Requirements
  • Ability to control with a fireboard drive/pit bull fan
  • Decent capacity
    • I looked at getting a kamado joe a while back but couldn't justify the $$$ for how much capacity you have with the large joe
    • 3-5 Briskets?
  • Ability to use it with water or dry
  • Wheels that can make it through grass
    • I cook on the back patio and would prefer if it doesn't topple over and crush my helpers when moving it back there.
  • Great customer service
  • Good insulation
  • Relatively easy to maintain
Major plus
  • Ability to maintain lower temperatures for sausage/snack sticks/bacon
    • Using a modded MES40 right now for sausage/snack sticks but would like something that can do a 15-20lb batch without feeling super cramped
  • Decent number of shelves
  • Ability to work as a stick burner if I wanted to try my hand at it in the future
  • Pellet assist
    • Doubt any other companies do it besides Ironsides but having the ability to use pellets for short cooks in combination with wood chunks adds a lot of versatility.
  • Located near Indiana, shipping from Lonestar Grillz in TX was estimated at $700 alone
  • 12 month 0% financing
    • Not required but would be preferred over having a $3-7k chunk disappear at once
  • Short to no wait time
  • D rings for transport
Thanks!

I went with the LSG mini IVS, ordered it on 11/30/22. Asked Chris if he could add a couple of sausage rods and he said no problem.

Last edited:
Looking for recommendations for a vertical cabinet smoker on the medium to higher end that can be used in combination with a fireboard drive to maintain temperature. I was looking at an Ironside CDR with the pellet assist but got a response to some questions I asked saying they're no longer making smokers :( so I'm back to researching. The other one I was looking at was the large IVS from Lone Star Grillz ($500 difference between the mini and large I'd prefer the extra capacity). Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Price range - preferably under $7,000 after upgrades (if it's something that requires welding/etc like extra shelf rails I'll probably get it since you can't order it later)

Requirements
  • Ability to control with a fireboard drive/pit bull fan
  • Decent capacity
    • I looked at getting a kamado joe a while back but couldn't justify the $$$ for how much capacity you have with the large joe
    • 3-5 Briskets?
  • Ability to use it with water or dry
  • Wheels that can make it through grass
    • I cook on the back patio and would prefer if it doesn't topple over and crush my helpers when moving it back there.
  • Great customer service
  • Good insulation
  • Relatively easy to maintain
Major plus
  • Ability to maintain lower temperatures for sausage/snack sticks/bacon
    • Using a modded MES40 right now for sausage/snack sticks but would like something that can do a 15-20lb batch without feeling super cramped
  • Decent number of shelves
  • Ability to work as a stick burner if I wanted to try my hand at it in the future
  • Pellet assist
    • Doubt any other companies do it besides Ironsides but having the ability to use pellets for short cooks in combination with wood chunks adds a lot of versatility.
  • Located near Indiana, shipping from Lonestar Grillz in TX was estimated at $700 alone
  • 12 month 0% financing
    • Not required but would be preferred over having a $3-7k chunk disappear at once
  • Short to no wait time
  • D rings for transport
Thanks!
I have an LSG and love it.

I was considering getting a welder for random smoker accessories (I spent $300 on the 3 tier rack for my ys640 and I'm guessing it cost less than $100 to make) and ended up going down a rabbit hole and think I'm going to try my hand at making my own with a buddy, it'll probably end up being an expensive failure but seems like a fun project and I can always sell it and order a LSG if it doesn't work out. The HOA complaints alone should make it a fun experience.

I already asked in the build forum but for smokers that are lower quality than LSG what's more forgiving between direct flow and reverse?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky