Finishing cook in the oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Taylor Jackson

Original poster
Dec 9, 2019
Hey guys, I’m new in here. How are we all?

I have a question:
How many of you, when smoking a brisket especially, would smoke it in the smoker for the 6 hours and then wrap and finish off in the oven?
Is it better not to? Does it make a difference if it’s wrapped?

thanks!

Once wrapped, a brisket won't take any more smoke, and it doesn't care where it's cooked until it's tender. Heat is heat, and if you have a convection setting I would use that. BTW, ribs don't care if they are finished in an oven either.

8HDGVmI.jpg

like said above, it doesn't really make a difference once you've achieved the smokiness you want, don't repeat this but we've all probably have done it. :emoji_wink:
And there are BBQ restaurants that do this every day in the foil hotel pans.

I hate to read those "Help... my fire went out" postings, but that is another time to use the oven. If your pit is in trouble, move you meat into the oven while you re-light the fire, let any smoke settle down, and once it's stable, return the meat to the pit.

I have finished alot of meat in the oven. The smoke is still there and I cant tell the difference when wrapping on the smoker

Reactions: sawhorseray
How happy this missus will be with the lovely smoke aroma lingering a few days in the house... :emoji_laughing: Agree it works though.

I'm with fivetricks . Part of my plan for brisket . Just did one this weekend .
I am thinking next brisket will go to into smoker to the stall/180ish, pull, vac seal, and chill (heck I could freeze and store). When ready to serve SV for 12hrs but not sure of temp yet still learning.

My younger son does it all the time; finish it off inside in the oven (and air conditioning!) after giving it a 4-5 hour smoke outside in the 105° outdoor heat!

I plan to stock up on foil pans to make life easier, trying to wrap is a PIA and If grabbed wrong liquid runs every where it shouldn't . yep after so long no smoke needed so use what ya need to do. Bark is over rated on some things ymmv

Yeah, when I say "wrap" I mean plop that puppy in a foil pan and cover with HD foil :-)

But brisket I use butcher paper. It's worth it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky