Finally starting my Oklahoma Joe Highland

Discussion in 'Reverse Flow' started by totallybasted, Mar 5, 2015.

1. At last I have everything I need to set up my new Highland for reverse flow. I am installing a baffle plate, moving the chimney, sealing everything with rtv, sealing doors with lavalock, installing toggle latches to doors, putting a drain in the baffle plate and building a firebox.

2. More photos to come...

3. Coming right along...

4. I know its not a custom build from scratch but this is my first attempt at a smoker. Did a lot of research and I think I have made it my own!

5. Nice job    Looks like you have a nice smoker, Now fire it up !!!

Gary

6. You certainly have made it your own.  I know Gary said fire it up, but I'm assuming you are going to move it outside first! 

[​IMG]

Jerry

jarod likes this.
  7. Yes indeed. Just fired it up for seasoning. Its cold here and I wanted to be comfortable putting it together. Don't have a workshop. Only a poorly lit garage.

8. Well lets see some pics !

Gary

9. TB . Flash makes it look thicker. Temp regulating... The van is about 10 feet away. Hakuna Matata!

10. Wow . The middle is actually 10 degrees warmer than ends. Happy happy. Disregard 170

11. Nice  

Gary

12. Had a leak in baffle plate so I didn't use it as a water pan. I added one on the firebox side and taadaa. I couldn't be more happy. Thank you all for your advice . So much help from the forum.

13. mtime7

mtime7 Fire Starter

time to see some meat on that thang

14. I could not agree more. Stay tuned...

15. mtime7

mtime7 Fire Starter

well what's it going to be, ribs, brisket, maybe a butt? Wish I was there..

16. lendecatural

lendecatural Smoking Fanatic

Great job!!!

17. I want to try it with a long steady cook and not a 50$ piece of meat so this weekend I am doing 2 Boston butts. Forgiveness is devine.

18. Can't go wrong there  it should be good

Gary

19. pulling-pork

pulling-pork Newbie

Nice build. I'm looking to do a lot of the same except not doing the reverse flow. A couple questions.What are the dimensions of your charcoal box and convection plate? Thanks in advance.