Finally started my Christmas smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Christmas Smokes

Well, as usual, I didn’t plan my Christmas Smoking out very well. So yesterday I figured I’d best get started.

First on the list was some Smoked Pretzels for my Step-Daughter. Personally, I’m not a big fan of pretzels but the kid loves them. So……

Using a modified version of driedstick’s recipe (I had to as nobody in my family does spicy hot well) I mixed up:
½ cup of veg oil
1 package of dry Ranch Dressing
1 ½ tsp garlic powder

After laying the pretzels out on Frog Mats laid on 4 smoker racks, I used Miss Linda’s small basting brush to coat each individual pretzel with the flavor mix. As you can imagine, that was a lot of fun—thankfully I was only doing one package of pretzels.

Then it was into the MES at 170 degrees for 2 hours of apple smoke. The pretzels were then vac/sealed into two bags.

No pictures were taken of this smoke. There was nothing to see. After all, a pretzel is just a pretzel, and a smoked pretzel still just looks like a pretzel.

Today, things got a little more interesting. It was time to smoke some cheese. The temperature today was perfect for cheese smoking—sitting at a steady plus 2 C (about 36 F). I dug out one package each of Gouda, Monterey Jack, Blue, Old white cheddar and two of Imperial (a blend of old cheddars):

20171206_134914.jpg

Each block of cheese, except for the Blue and the Imperial, was then cut in half. The cheese was laid out on Frog Mats spread out on 2 racks:

20171206_135938 (2).jpg

20171206_135946 (2).jpg

I filled the AMNPS with orange pellets, and when it was smoking well and in the Mailbox, both racks of cheese went into the MES at 2:20 PM:

20171206_142546.jpg

It was a beautiful day for cold smoking. The temperature never varied all afternoon, so my cheese stayed firm and did NO sweating. Perfect.

I pulled all the cheese at 5:30 PM after just 3 hours in the MES. The only other time I’ve smoked cheese was with my stick burner and I pulled some out at 2, 2 ½ and 3 hours—we were happiest with the 3 hour smoke.

The smell emanating from each block was fantastic. None of the cheese took on very much color but, due to the ambient temperature, that was to be expected. The Gouda had the best color, followed by the White Cheddar and the Monterey Jack. Neither the Danish Blue nor the Imperial showed much in the way of color change.

I sealed up all the cheese in individual bags (didn’t vac) and put them in the fridge for the next two weeks to mellow. That means they’ll be ready just before Christmas. It couldn’t have worked out better if I had actually planned it that way. LOL:

20171206_180504.jpg

Just as a side note, my Son-in-Law took one of the bags of pretzels to work with him today. He got nothing but rave reviews on the pretzels and came home with about a dozen orders for bags half that size. He wants to use my MES. Looks like I’ve created a monster when it comes to smoked food. I’m going to have to get that boy a smoker of his own. That sure says a lot for driedstick’s recipe!!! Thanks @driedstick.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

nice Gary, in Fla its tuff to get cool weather, but, its supposed to be 47 Sunday am when I smoke by CB -- point for the cheese

Looks like a winner! I've been going to do a batch of DS's pretzels for the past month now! Just need to get my act together!

Looks like a great bunch of smoked goodies there my friend! DS's pretzels & that cheese looks real tasty! The blue cheese, I done some a bit ago... Kinda unique but tasty stuff! We liked it!

Looks like a great bunch of smoked goodies there my friend! DS's pretzels & that cheese looks real tasty! The blue cheese, I done some a bit ago... Kinda unique but tasty stuff! We liked it!

Thanks Justin. The idea to try smoking blue cheese is one I stole from you when you posted it. I've been wanting to try it out ever since. The really great thing is that nobody around here but ME likes blue cheese!!!
Gary

I love smoked cheese (especially the blue) but funny, I don't see my name on any of those packages....:(

Nice work, thanks for sharing. BTW, I met my wife in Red Deer .....

Gotta get off my tuchus and start Christmas smoking too. I'm off the next couple days and it is supposed to be in the 40s so I guess there's a trip to the grocery store in the cards tonight after work. Thanks for the motivation.

Nice Job my Friend it looks Great !!

Gary

I love smoked cheese (especially the blue) but funny, I don't see my name on any of those packages....:(

Nice work, thanks for sharing. BTW, I met my wife in Red Deer .....

Thank you. I love blue cheese but I've never eaten it smoked. Really looking forward to trying it.
Gary

Gotta get off my tuchus and start Christmas smoking too. I'm off the next couple days and it is supposed to be in the 40s so I guess there's a trip to the grocery store in the cards tonight after work. Thanks for the motivation.

Yeah I was a little late getting motivated this year too. Lucky I'll have this cheese ready for Christmas.
Gary

Looks great. I just smoked 8 lbs of Pepper Jack and 8 lbs of Med. Cheddar. Also started curing 25 lbs of pork belly. I have never tried smoked blue cheese. How is it?

Attachments

• 0E8596D6-E219-4952-B194-AA70DB91CFB3.jpeg
    0E8596D6-E219-4952-B194-AA70DB91CFB3.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 34
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky