• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Finally, our first tomatoes of the year......

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Means only one thing....    BLT's.....  The first of August is normal for us to get our first tomatoes and it's a BIG DEAL.....

Bride says....   We need bacon so out to the freezer I go and pull a pack...    Bake in a double pan on a wire rack at 375 convection for 35 minutes...   thick bacon....   Save the grease in a "bacon grease container" in the refer....    Now it's up to Bride to slice the maters and do all the other good stuff.....

I'm just showing this so all you folks that get maters in April and May can humbly thanks the garden gods for your location..

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 15, 2011
Nice lookin' luv apples there, Dave!

I've had no luck with tomatoes since moving to Texas. I wait too late to put in plants and the soil temps get too hot and they stop growing. I've been tempted to start seeds in September and plant in October. I never knew that tomatoes stop producing when conditions get too hot until I moved to Texas.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Nice Dave!

We get our best tomato's in Jan/Feb. down here.

Al

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
I go away for a week and when we get back, here's what is waiting for us...yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
We're still waiting!!! Our garden has been out of whack this year. Worst ever. Not sure what's going on.

gary s

OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Hey Tomatoes look good, Wish I would have planted some Bacon Plants like you

Gary

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007
Looking good, nothing like your first mater of the seeason.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
You are lucky, Dave. We have just had a couple of cherry tomatoes ripen. It has been so cold around here this summer, I am not hopeful of a good tomato or pepper crop. However, the garlic and potatoes are going great guns.

Enjoy your tomatoes and think of us less fortunate.

Disco

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks