Finally making bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doubles shooter

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Upstate Western NY
I've been wanting to try making bacon for many years but have been unable to find bellies anywhere locally. Money is tight so I couldn't justify a Costco membership just for bacon. A couple days ago I went to the local Wegmans looking for some pork shoulder to make sausage. I struck out there, but lo and behold there were two 6 pound hunks of belly there. Hooray, finally.
I plan to cold smoke. Deciding on a cure method was hard, However I decided on the Digging Dog formula for one and Bearcarver's cure on the other. In the cure today. Wish me luck.
0505200956.jpg

Reactions: tallbm and ozzz
Be careful. Doing your own bacon can be addictive!
Sadly the only reason I keep a Costco membership is for the belly....
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

The bellies are now in the fridge for a couple days drying time after a rinse and soak before the start of smoking. Going to use a mix of apple and corn cob pellets. Sorry, no pics of this because I left my phone at camp. Just went and picked it up. I'll get pics when it hits the smoker.

Finally got a few minutes for an update. Been busy watching grand kids, opening camp, yard work, etc. Well you can add me to the list of people who will probably never buy store bacon again.
As far as the family goes, the bacon is a huge success. I used Digging Dog Farms recipe for one and Bearcarver's recipe on the other slab, however I didn't do the short med. hot smoke. I gave them 12 hours of cold smoke over two mornings using apple wood and corn cob pellets mixed 50/50.
Fresh from the smoker
0522201059.jpg

Slicing
0522201502a~2.jpg

Future BLT's for supper tonight.
0526201735.jpg

The rest getting ready for the freezer.
0526201453.jpg

Many thanks for all you bacon lovers out there for your posts. I was able to pull another successful smoke off with the knowledge picked up here

Reactions: pc farmer
Great looking bacon. Nice color and meat to fat ratio. Which do you like better?

Great looking bacon. Nice color and meat to fat ratio. Which do you like better?

The jury is still out on which one we like better. Proably going to take another 50 pounds or so more bacon to decide. Both are great with Bearcarver's being a bit sweeter. I gave it a bit more brown sugar.

Those look great. How long did you let them cure? Guessing 14 days by your post dates, but wanted to check.

I just got suckered into buying a hog so am going to be processing it this weekend and looking for ideas.

Those look great. How long did you let them cure? Guessing 14 days by your post dates, but wanted to check.

I just got suckered into buying a hog so am going to be processing it this weekend and looking for ideas.
It was 14 days. I had planned on 10, but the holiday weekend got in the way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky