FINALLY found my "old school" cheeseburger!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Always like to see another thread on DIY smashburgers. If it deals with meat, it belongs on this forum.
I was too cheap to buy 4 of those Lodge presses so I loaded up an old cookie sheet with weight and a handle so I could smash 4 burgers at once.
My issue is my griddle just doesn't get hot enough for a good burn. CI on the rangetop is what I've got to try.

Reactions: Steve H
Nice find, Steve. Very tempting for the next camping trip. Ideal form factor...big enough to be useful for real cooking but compact enough to squeeze into about any vehicle.

Reactions: SherryT
Well, it's here...

griddle.jpg

...and this little sucker is a lot heavier than I thought it would be!

It'll be THURSDAY before I can get it seasoned due to rain tonight and windy all day tomorrow according to the forecast...GAH!

Well, it's here...

View attachment 649770

It'll be THURSDAY before I can get it seasoned due to rain tonight and windy all day tomorrow according to the forecast...GAH!
I'm jealous (but in a good way)! :emoji_thumbsup:

My cast iron griddle is just waiting for me to eat the leftovers I have in the fridge before I make more stuff - but a fire in the fire pit and smash burgers are in its future!

Well, it's here...

(Photo deleted)

If yours's didn't come with the conversion kit, get a hose and adapter to connect to a 20# LP tank. These buggers eat gas, especially for the seasoning.
I used the Blackstone grease to season my griddle. Not 100% sold on it, but it works

If yours's didn't come with the conversion kit, get a hose and adapter to connect to a 20# LP tank. These buggers eat gas, especially for the seasoning.
I used the Blackstone grease to season my griddle. Not 100% sold on it, but it works

I picked up a "refill fitting" so I can refill the 1lb tanks from a 20lb tank (I also use the 1lb'ers in my lanterns and my jeweler's torch, so I've been wanting one for a while), but I also plan to get an adapter for the 20lb tank for the griddle.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I picked up a "refill fitting" so I can refill the 1lb tanks from a 20lb tank (I also use the 1lb'ers in my lanterns and my jeweler's torch, so I've been wanting one for a while), but I also plan to get an adapter for the 20lb tank for the griddle.
You are a busy person!!
The adapter to a 20# should also work on your jeweler's torch

Before refilling the 1# tanks put them in the freezer for a couple days. You get a better fill. Tip I learned from the guy that used to refill my 1# tanks.
I do the same freezer chill for filling my butane hand torch. Get about 3/4 fill with the chill.

You are a busy person!!
The adapter to a 20# should also work on your jeweler's torch

Before refilling the 1# tanks put them in the freezer for a couple days. You get a better fill. Tip I learned from the guy that used to refill my 1# tanks.
I do the same freezer chill for filling my butane hand torch. Get about 3/4 fill with the chill.

I also read that you have to turn the 20lb'er upside down when refilling since the liquid propane sits in the bottom of the tank...makes sense to me!

Reactions: bill1
You can also get a hose that'll hook up directly from your BS to the 20 pound tank.
I like that Blackstone hose as it moves the regulator.
I already had the tank adapter and hose from other appliances.
NOTE if you use a hose attached to the regulator for 1# bottles it does not have to be at the 45° angle.

Congrats. I did not look where this was posted, but there is a CI/Griddle section on this site, and because there are so many Blackstones out there a U-Tube search will bring up hundreds of recipes. I first used the small one on my gas grill, but moved up to a 4 burner BS. I love it. Keeps the mess out of the kitchen. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Congrats. I did not look where this was posted, but there is a CI/Griddle section on this site, and because there are so many Blackstones out there a U-Tube search will bring up hundreds of recipes. I first used the small one on my gas grill, but moved up to a 4 burner BS. I love it. Keeps the mess out of the kitchen. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Where? I looked and didn't see one! EDIT - never mind, found it (I hadn't scrolled down far enough).

Thanks!

Reactions: 801driver
Hey, SherryT SherryT , I'm so glad you started this thread. I'd never heard of smashburgers before, but I tried them, CI skillet and all, and they are now the only way I'm making burgers anymore. So cotton-picking fast and smooth, whooda thunk!

Aren't they great!!!

I mean, I still love a good, juicy burger grilled over an open flame, but smashburgers with those crusty bits are fantastic and remind me of those I enjoyed as a child and are now my go-to as well!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky