Final Qview!: "Healthy" Montreal Smoked Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The beef sat overnight double wrapped in cellophane in the fridge. We are having some renovations done and workmen showed up today so the beef couldn't be poached until early this evening.

I took the cellophane wrapped beef out of the fridge and put it in a plastic bag.

I put it in a large electric skillet with water. An old fellow who makes great pastrami around here told me he double wraps his beef, places it in a sealed plastic bag and then puts in water just below the boil. He insisted that if the water was boiling it ruined it. So I put mine in a large electric skillet set at about 250 F that kept the water just below boiling with the beef in it with the cover on.

It poached for 2 1/2 hours. Then it is taken out of the water and the plastic bag and unwrapped. I drained it for a couple of minutes in a colander and then it sits out on the counter for 2 hours. The advice from there was to serve it hot for dinner or put it in the fridge overnight, uncovered, if you are going to be using it for sandwiches. I want sandwiches. So here it is on the counter after poaching.

Tomorrow, I will take it out of the fridge and make my first sandwich. It was all I could do to not slice it up and eat it. It smells wonderful.

Qview of the finished product tomorrow.

Disco

Tomorrow, I will take it out of the fridge and make my first sandwich. It was all I could do to not slice it up and eat it. It smells wonderful.

Qview of the finished product tomorrow.

Disco
I caught up with this one a bit late, but just in time for the big finale. lad I'm late to the party, the suspense might have been too much. ;)

I caught up with this one a bit late, but just in time for the big finale. lad I'm late to the party, the suspense might have been too much. ;)
Har, I'm almost jealous. While I love smoking, the anticipation grows with every step. I really am dying to try this.

Disco

Finally, I get to cut the smoked meat and try it.

The verdict. Just what I was looking for. The flavours were great! Not as sweet as pastrami with a good pepper zing. Even She Who Must Be Obeyed (who doesn't care for smoked food that much) really liked it. The colour could be a bit redder but that has something to do with the density of outside round I would think. While I would stack the flavour up to any smoked meat I have tried, having made it out of an outside round, it has a different texture than the Montreal Smoked Meat you find at a good deli in Montreal. That being said, the texture is great and is definitely better than what passes for Montreal Smoked Meat at the deli counters in the supermarkets around here.

The only thing I did wrong was not make enough of it. Now that I know how good it is, I will be making this in larger batches.

Disco

That really turned out great, Looks fantastic. I am going to have to try doing some of these type things, instead of just straight smoking .

Gary

That really turned out great, Looks fantastic. I am going to have to try doing some of these type things, instead of just straight smoking .

Gary
They take a bit of time and you have to have patience but I think it is really worth it. A great smoked meat with better flavour and less fat than I could get in the store.

Disco

That looks awesome, Disco, thanks for posting this.  I am definitely putting this on my 'todo' list.
Thanks, Swede. I hope you like it too!

Nice work, it looks really good!
Thanks, Todd. It tasted pretty fine too.

Wow, that now just looks so authentic and like the real deal! Beautiful job! Cheers! - Leah
Thanks. Leah. I am so pleased that I found a Montreal Smoked Meat recipe on the forums. I don't have to go to Montreal for a fix anymore but will still likely go for all the other delicacies of the area. Also, it is really a bonus when the Missus likes it too. You never know how you might be rewarded when you please a lovely lady!

Disco

Just Fantastic Disco! And I hope you and your lovely bride, and all the others on this great thread will come join my new wine group on this site!

Wine is something better when it's shared! Cheers to all and Happy Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Leah

Just Fantastic Disco! And I hope you and your lovely bride, and all the others on this great thread will come join my new wine group on this site!

Wine is something better when it's shared! Cheers to all and Happy Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Leah
I will check that out but I am more of a plonk guzzler than a wine sommelier.

Disco

Not a problem! Whatever one drinks wine wise, doesn't matter (so long as they enjoy it) and so come join the fun! Everyone is welcome and one needn't be any wine sommelier or any such thing. I raise my glass to all! Cheers! - Leah

Dang nab it Disco you did it again
wife.gif
,,,,,,,,,,,You just made my to do list longer, Very nice looks great.

Dang nab it Disco you did it again
wife.gif
,,,,,,,,,,,You just made my to do list longer, Very nice looks great.
Thanks, driedstick. I am actually eating a sandwich of Montreal Smoked Meat as I type. So glad I found the info on the forum to make this.

Disco

Hey Disco, any updates?? Being from Montreal, am have been following this thread and anxiously waiting on your results. Would love to attempt the same if it turns out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky