Final mod; to my MES. I think?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

patinlouisiana

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
Baton Rouge, LA
Well I did it. I finally got rid of the last remaining Masterbuilt part of my smoker besides the cabinet its self.
I installed a new 1,500 watt heating element.
Running it via my Auber Controller and it works great. Can easily hit 350F

Attachments

• IMG_6258.JPG
    IMG_6258.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6260.JPG
    IMG_6260.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 37
One of the reasons I cut the element bracket in half lengthwise and flipped it (so I didn't have to cut a new hole in the smoker) other than for even heating was to keep the insulation in the right rear corner from burning. A lot of pics with the back off show burnt insulation in the right rear corner with the stock 1,200 watt element. When you push on the inside walls near the element you can hear crunchy burnt insulation. I'm thinking the insulation won't handle 350° for much time.

One of the reasons I cut the element bracket in half lengthwise and flipped it (so I didn't have to cut a new hole in the smoker) other than for even heating was to keep the insulation in the right rear corner from burning. A lot of pics with the back off show burnt insulation in the right rear corner with the stock 1,200 watt element. When you push on the inside walls near the element you can hear crunchy burnt insulation. I'm thinking the insulation won't handle 350° for much time.
I have not smoke above 250 with it but got real tired of it never getting above 200 when unaltered.

I have not smoke above 250 with it but got real tired of it never getting above 200 when unaltered.
Right! Me too. That's why I went to the PID because without it my Mes Gen 1 40 highest temp was 260 on the upward coast so averaged about 245-250. I wanted 275 for ribs, butts and brisket.

Reactions: GATOR240
Right! Me too. That's why I went to the PID because without it my Mes Gen 1 40 highest temp was 260 on the upward coast so averaged about 245-250. I wanted 275 for ribs, butts and brisket.
I was hoping to get enough heat to smoke chicken and have crispy skin.

Can you post some info on the element - what the model number is and where you got it. I was modding a counter top oven recently and was looking for an element just like that, and could not find it. It looks like it will give more even heat through the box.

So if I am reading that right... the adjustable controller on the element is removable ?? and then how do you wire it to the PID controller without the element controller ??

Jack, no fair, that was going to be my question. As I understand it, the controller just slides off, so you have two smooth ends, and I didn't see how you would attach leads to it?

So if I am reading that right... the adjustable controller on the element is removable ?? and then how do you wire it to the PID controller without the element controller ??
Actually, I did not bypass the factory thermostat on the new element. I just dial it up to High and plug it in to my Auber a go to town!

Reactions: chopsaw

When I did my MES40 mod, I bypassed all of the smoker's original controller system by connecting a power cord directly to the element. I then plugged the new power cord to Mr. PID.

When I did my MES40 mod, I bypassed all of the smoker's original controller system by connecting a power cord directly to the element. I then plugged the new power cord to Mr. PID.
That is what I did but got tired of it struggling to reach 250 so I did away with all of the original parts ans added this new element.

OK.. But from my understanding of previous builds with an element that has it's own adjustable controller that it would not get any hotter than what the element controller (turned up all the way) is programmed at. No matter how high you set the PID controller. I see that it's a plug in type probe (like a deep fryer or electric skillet) on the controller to the element. If/how did you bypass the adjustable controller probe ??

I had an MES that had a control problem----- brand new Gen #2.
It went up to 345° before I knew it, so I stopped it. I could hear a crinkling noise inside the walls, and if I put my ear against the left side wall (only place cool enough to do that) the noise didn't stop until it got below 310°. It had to be the insulation crinkling inside the inner & outer walls.
So like Chopsaw said, I wouldn't intentionally make it go over 275°, and watch carefully that it doesn't accidentally get much above 300° for more than a minute or two during a coasting over-run.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
I have two 1/8" holes drilled in the middle of the sides. I slide the controller probe in one side and my Inkbird probe in the other side and have it set as a 310 high temp alarm. That way if my Amazing pellet tray ignites it will set off the alarm also.

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky