Filipino Style BBQ Pork and Chicken Skewers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mike R.

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 24, 2021
First time ever making this. I followed this recipe closely.

After ordering the banana cutsup and the calamansi juice from Amazon, I went to the local store to get the few other items I needed, one of them being a bottle of ginger beer. So great story before I share the cook. My wife nor I drink, have not since before the kids have been a live. Just a choice of ours. So, my 12 year old was with me when I picked up this single glass bottle of ginger beer and as we shopped I could tell she was getting upset. So when we got in the car I asked her what was wrong. She said "You bought a beer, I don't care if it is for cooking, you have never bought beer!!!!" I tried to explain, but then I got home and was in the office talking with my wife, we came out and all three of the kids (12, 13, and 15 years olds) where trying to be sneaky looking at the bottle trying to make sense of what I bought. We got to the point where we all laughed very hard about this, but all three of them were worried that I bought a beer🤣.

So to the cook. Got all the ingredients mixed up. Did a 1.5 batch so I could also do 2 chicken breast along with this nice section of a pork shoulder that I cut into short ribbons.
1623711809864~2.jpg

I let them marinade over night and got then skewed up today. Pork on right, chicken on left.
1623711838630~2.jpg

Got the kettle set up for two zone cooking with RO All Natural.
1623711834854~2.jpg

And they are on, over direct heat, pork in middle, chicken flanking on both sides.
1623711868281~2.jpg

First flip.
1623711864004~2.jpg

Over to indirect and glazed with the reserve marinade.
1623711912702~2.jpg

And done.
IMG_20210614_222447.jpg

Plated with some brown rice and a little of the reserve marinade heated up. Chicken on left, pork on right.
1623711877996~2.jpg

Ok, so that was really really good. The family really really likes it also, the biggest complaint was I didn't make enough chicken, so I will get to make it again. I will make only two small changes. First for the pork, the thin slices of pork were magic, the thicker ones were a touch tough. I will keep all the pork slices nice and thin. The recipe was perfect on the pork which it was it was designed for, but in my modification using it for the chicken the calamansi juice was a touch strong. So I will make the chicken its own marinade where I go lighter then the original recipe recommends on the calamansi juice, and I will double the breast that I prep.
Thanks for looking!

Well since there's no more beer left... guess I'd just grab that pan and run! Looks delicious!

Ryan

I cook with Beer all the time. I usually have two by the time the food is done.😆
The meat looks really good...JJ

Mike nicely done I do a lot of Filipino dishes, I didn't see the Achara is it home made?
Richie

I don't actually drink beer either. I'm more of a chugger of beer.

Seriously that dish look great.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks really good. How big is that pork shoulder? Looks like a small 3-4 pounder. How long did you cook them for?

Mike nicely done I do a lot of Filipino dishes, I didn't see the Achara is it home made?
Richie
I did not make the Achara, that was what Chef Tom make to with the meat in the video, but that was not something I tried. I am thinking since I will get a next attempt I may add that, what do you think? Have you ever made or had Achara? What are the sides you make when you make Filipino bbq dishes?

Looks really good. How big is that pork shoulder? Looks like a small 3-4 pounder. How long did you cook them for?
I cut off this piece from the money muscle side of a monster size (just under 11 lbs) pork shoulder. The recipe called for 2 lbs of pork shoulder, but I think this was closer to 3 lbs. I am going to use the rest of that shoulder to make some smoked pork carnitas here this weekend. I made 1.5 the recipe and used some of the marinade for chicken breast, but I still think a regular batch of this recipe could still be used for a little more then the 2 lbs of pork it calls for.

I cook with Beer all the time. I usually have two by the time the food is done.😆
The meat looks really good...JJ
I always make sure to have a glass of good ice tea or coffee (hot or iced depending on the weather) while grilling or smoking and make a cheers to all my fellow bbqers that partake in the alcoholic beverage. Yesterday, I had a strong homebrewed red rose tea with just the littlest bit of sugar in the raw to sweeten.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
How long did you cook them for?
About 5 mins per side right over top the coals with the lid up/off/open. Once I got a nice char on them I moved them over to the indirect side, glazed them and closed the lid. After ten minutes I flipped them and glazed the other side. About 5 to max ten minutes on the second flip on the indirect side I started to taste test (the smallest skewers of both the pork and the chicken did not make it to service) and really felt like all of it was done and I pulled them all. So I would say 5 and 5 on the direct heat and then 10 and 10 on the indirect so 30 minutes total.

I did not make the Achara, that was what Chef Tom make to with the meat in the video, but that was not something I tried. I am thinking since I will get a next attempt I may add that, what do you think? Have you ever made or had Achara? What are the sides you make when you make Filipino bbq dishes?
Mike we make Lumpia, Atsara, Puto, Pandesal, Smoked M&C goes good with any BBQ all is home made.
Are you Philippine ?
Richie

Mike we make Lumpia, Atsara, Puto, Pandesal, Smoked M&C goes good with any BBQ all is home made.
Are you Philippine ?
Richie
No I am not Philippine, just someone who came across this great dish and got really excited to be able to make it. Now after the first cook being a success with the family I want to continue to push this meal the next time I make it. After researching the sides you shared above I can't get the thoughts out of my mind to make a sandwich with homemade just out the oven Pandesal bread, the bbq pork, and some homemade Atsara. What do you think, is this an acceptable way to combined these great recipes?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky