Fiery Asian Pork And Veggies (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
The other night I had a hankering for something Asian inspired. Didn't really want the same old stuff so decided to get creative and hope for the best. Please note, Asian food is NOT my strong point but I love the stuff and just keep trying and hoping it comes out decent. I was also in the mood for something that would give a nice little spicy glow. Got a couple thick sliced center cut pork chops out and defrosted them. While they were defrosting I started making the Fire Sauce. I know I'm gonna get yelled at and possibly put on time-out with my nose in the corner for this, but once again, I didn't write down any amounts of what went into the sauce. I just started the stuff and tweaked it as I went till I had the flavor I was looking for.

The Fire Sauce: rice vinegar, sesame oil, hot chili oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper.
001.jpg

The pork all cut up.
002.jpg

The veggies. I wish I had some red bell pepper but alas, I did not.
003.jpg

Sliced green onions. These will come into play a bit later.
004.jpg

Pork in the wok with a splash of sesame oil.
005.jpg

Lightly brown the pork then add the veggies and Fire Sauce.
006.jpg

Mix it all up and stir constantly till the broccoli starts to soften just a bit. We hate over cooked, mushy veggies.
007.jpg

Plate over rice then garnish with the green onions, sesame seeds, and crushed red pepper.
008.jpg

Yep...the close-up shot.
009.jpg

For the first time in my sordid history I actually created an Asian meal that came out extremely well. The flavors were 100% authentic Asian but it was unlike anything I've ever seen or eaten. It was a super fun and creative dish. Not to mention, it was quick and very easy to do. I have two takeaways though. First is a bit less vinegar. That was the first ingredient I put into the sauce and got a bit too much. I know this is a worn out cliche in the BBQ world but I was looking for a bit of sweet and a good dose of heat. I got the heat but tried to temper the slight over abundance of vinegar with brown sugar and ginger. It got to the point I just had to quit adding the stuff to tone down the vinegar because I didn't want candied pork. The second thing was I needed more of the sauce. The flavor was incredible but I was looking to have the meat and veggies coated with it but it turned out the sauce was just more of a great flavor enhancer as opposed to the star of the meal. All in all, I am very happy with this one and Tracy has asked that it be added to our menu rotation. That is a huge plus for me being that she's not a huge fan of Asian food. I'll take that as a win :emoji_wink:

Oh well, gotta run. Dinner needs to be made and my dearly beloved will be home shortly. Y'all take care and see ya soon.

Robert

The other night I had a hankering for something Asian inspired. Didn't really want the same old stuff so decided to get creative and hope for the best. Please note, Asian food is NOT my strong point but I love the stuff and just keep trying and hoping it comes out decent. I was also in the mood for something that would give a nice little spicy glow. Got a couple thick sliced center cut pork chops out and defrosted them. While they were defrosting I started making the Fire Sauce. I know I'm gonna get yelled at and possibly put on time-out with my nose in the corner for this, but once again, I didn't write down any amounts of what went into the sauce. I just started the stuff and tweaked it as I went till I had the flavor I was looking for.

The Fire Sauce: rice vinegar, sesame oil, hot chili oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper.
View attachment 654133

The pork all cut up.
View attachment 654134

The veggies. I wish I had some red bell pepper but alas, I did not.
View attachment 654135

Sliced green onions. These will come into play a bit later.
View attachment 654136

Pork in the wok with a splash of sesame oil.
View attachment 654137

Lightly brown the pork then add the veggies and Fire Sauce.
View attachment 654139

Mix it all up and stir constantly till the broccoli starts to soften just a bit. We hate over cooked, mushy veggies.
View attachment 654140

Plate over rice then garnish with the green onions, sesame seeds, and crushed red pepper.
View attachment 654142

Yep...the close-up shot.
View attachment 654144

For the first time in my sordid history I actually created an Asian meal that came out extremely well. The flavors were 100% authentic Asian but it was unlike anything I've ever seen or eaten. It was a super fun and creative dish. Not to mention, it was quick and very easy to do. I have two takeaways though. First is a bit less vinegar. That was the first ingredient I put into the sauce and got a bit too much. I know this is a worn out cliche in the BBQ world but I was looking for a bit of sweet and a good dose of heat. I got the heat but tried to temper the slight over abundance of vinegar with brown sugar and ginger. It got to the point I just had to quit adding the stuff to tone down the vinegar because I didn't want candied pork. The second thing was I needed more of the sauce. The flavor was incredible but I was looking to have the meat and veggies coated with it but it turned out the sauce was just more of a great flavor enhancer as opposed to the star of the meal. All in all, I am very happy with this one and Tracy has asked that it be added to our menu rotation. That is a huge plus for me being that she's not a huge fan of Asian food. I'll take that as a win :emoji_wink:

Oh well, gotta run. Dinner needs to be made and my dearly beloved will be home shortly. Y'all take care and see ya soon.

Robert
that's fabulous I love how easy stir fried and sweet and sour is

I love Asian cuisine And you did a great interpretation of it Robert! Matter of Fact, I'll be cooking Mongolian again at the firehouse tomorrow for the guys...

We must have been thinking alike, Robert. Yes it's scary that anyone would think like me...:emoji_laughing: I made an oriental themed dish yesterday, myself. Difference is I loosely followed a combination of recipes instead of getting "creative". Yours looks great and those are flavors we like. Nice job, my friend...

Looks great . Sesame oil is key in my opinion . As well as a cornstarch slurry at the end .
You got all the good stuff in that dish for sure . Nice work . I'm over due for a meal like that .

Looks great. I've been into Asian style wok cooking a lot lately due to a funny YouTube channel.
You might be right, might have needed more sauce, but like chopsaw chopsaw said, a little cornstarch added to the sauce will make it more saucier for the same about of sauce. Feels like a cheat, but it's actually authentic in many Asian sauces.
Sesame oil should be used as a finishing oil, added right before the last tosses to preserve it's flavor. It's not typically a cooking oil.

Those things said, I'd have eaten the heck out off your dish! I under cooked the noodles in my store fry last night, so maybe I should be passing my cooking more and taking less...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky